528i - 2000 model - computer gremlin appearing

Hey guys ...

Interesting set of problems. Nothing is broken, no fire, no sparks.

I took the 528i in for service, drop the oil, and check things per the 178K miles on it.

They (the BMW authorized outside shop) upon finishing the service, went to start it up ... and unlike there being no problem on delivery, here is a fuel pump problem.

They say, they pulled the seat and looked for pressure, there being none, they pushed it outside as there was other work to do. A few hours later, theyt say, they tried it and it started up no problem.

They think my fuel pump is going on, and was thinking of replacing it. No humm, no vibration, no problems with it until now.

I recieved the car, turned it on, and drove it off ... listening for pump problems ... none happening. Turned on the stereo and the middle post speakers are out.

When home and left it.

Next morning, started it up, and stereo is still gone.

5 more restarts of the ingition, the stereo returns to full service, but their is an idiot light on the dash board saying tail light out ... go to tail lights and ALL ARE WORKING.

Next restart, idiot light goes out, and turn signal buld if flashing to fast showing lost of continunity in the electrical leads. No idiot light on.

Rotate bulb, fix light, every thing is working.

More restarts ... lose the security system ... doors lock, but the red flashing light showing it is working and on ... is not flashing.

This fixes it self a few more restarts later.

With the same mysterious pattern, of an idiot light going on ... no problems showing ... then restart ... idiot light goes out and problem appears ... easy fix.

Soooo.

With this BMW being the 2000 year model, the start of the decade of production am I losing my computer.

Or did, the shop who did this, fry my computer with a hot short, and some restarts later, it reboots and works a bit ... then loses it .. and keeps rebooting.

Is there an fault codes for fuel pump being toast ... or stuff coming up showing a hot short was received.

I am thinking of going to a Dealership for the next oil change and check out, as the guys who did this in the first place ... to my reckoning lied to me about the fuel pump ... as they would have to be sure it was plugged in and they did not say that. It is electronic fuel pump after all.

So far the car and cruise control is working, it is safe, and fun to drive.

The gremlin is transient ... comes and goes ... always a new thing so far from fuel pump, to stereo, to security system being out or not functioning properly.

The a few key turns later ... all good.

Nothing was done other then that.

All my best guys and gals who brainaic this stuff up.

Thanks for any help.

sumbuddie on da watchtower

:)

Reply to
Alan B. Mac Farlane

Sounds like you have a dirty, corroded or loose earth or ground connection somewhere down the line.

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Reply to
hsg

SNIP

Check battery connections carefully, sounds like they left one loose.

If OK check system volts, if low check battery and alternator.

The worst possibility is the shop have disturbed the wiring loom...

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Snip all

Wow!

I'm thinking low voltage from a battery with a weak cell (I read it's only a year old). Too many random things going on here. It's got to be something very fundamental in the electrical system, so the battery and its connections is where I'd start.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier