Collision Insurance Q: what should I do ?

I hit the car in front (at stop sign) :( Reported to GEICO after I got back. This is my 1st at fault collision ever. Deductible is $1000.

Got 2 estimates $1900 and $2800, they involve different level of work.

1) Should I go thru insurance and make claim or pay the whole thing myself ? 2) If go thru insurance should I try to find the best estimate AS IF I'm paying it myself or go for the most complete work (e.g $2800 includes replacing the fender piece & more labor)

Very much a newbie at this... thanks

Reply to
klara

Your insurance pays the cost to repair the OTHER car, there is no deductible for this coverage. Your Collision coverage -- the part with the deductible -- is to repair YOUR car.

Yes, you should go through your insurance. The repairs will be better -- in most instances. Your insurance carrier has repaired tens of thousands of vehicles, they know where the repair shops are, and they can recommend some to you that they already use on a regular basis.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Don't forget... THIS is what you're paying for!!

I'm made claims over the years with absolutely NO affect on my policy. In fact, in a year in which I had 2 or 3 claims, I received a "Good Driver Discount" in the subsequent year.

I use Automobile Club, but expect that GEICO wouldn't be much different.

Take advantage of your coverage!

Jimmy

Reply to
JimmyG

What you say may be true in CA, but is not a universal truth by any means. Many insurance carriers will require you to use the cheapest shops in order to limit their payout. Remember, they are only in business to make money, not to make you happy.

So if we use the OPs numbers, they may pick the $1900 repair facility. Then after he pays his deductible of $1000 they will only be on the hook for $900. His insurance premiums will most certainly increase after making a claim proportional to the total accident cost of $1900 (that

*is* a universal truth) so after a few years he will have paid for the 900 claim out of his own pocket anyway.

Sometimes it pays to just buck-up and deal with your own damage...

Reply to
Fred W

Reply to
Niels Petersen

900 claim out of his own pocket anyway.

Sometimes it pays to just buck-up and deal with your own damage...

Reply to
klara

900 claim out of his own pocket anyway.

Sometimes it pays to just buck-up and deal with your own damage...

Reply to
klara

You might check with your agent to see exactly how much your premium would be raised over the next few years, especially if the other car has a liability claim against you, and then crunch the numbers.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

Sometimes for accidents with little damage, and no injuries to either party, it pays to NOT notify the insurance company and work it out with the other driver. Once you notify your insurance company, they are involved, you might as well make the claim. My opinion only!!

Reply to
Joe C

Yes, of course at this point it is too late.

Reply to
Fred W

Becuase you quite possibly (likely) will end up paying *more* that the $900 claim over trhe long haul.

The alternative is to make your claim and then try to renegotiate your insurance with some other company.

Reply to
Fred W

And. despite what all the opinions offered by the "experts" below, realize that if the other party decides there was personal injury later due to this "incident" you will truly learn the feeling of being screwed, as your ins co. will have no part of it.

And, no, the other party telling you they are OK doesn't cut it.

......................................................Truth or Consequences. More than a game, its a fact of life.

Reply to
FY