Considering a BMW - A Few Questions

Page 4 of 6
<BRH> wrote in message

I ran my '94 3 Series on mid-grade for about 120,000 miles. No wories.
I'm on my second car now, and use mid-grade in it as well.

Add pictures here
βœ–
BRH wrote:

have money. The reagular upkeep alone is quite more than a normal car. For example BMW requmendes full synthetic oil and you can’t go just any where to have the oil changed(reset the oil light). Call around a check you will be highly surprised at how hard it is to find people that will even touch a BMW. I found three places here that would change the oil, the prices was 120-100 just for an oil change.

Pretty good, I have a black/black which has no show of age and is in factory condition.

BMW's are awsome cars, they are luxury and sports cars all rolled into one. In a well maintained BMW you will get well over 300,000 miles. But, they are not cars you can just beat on like a Lexuses. If you know alittle bit about cars and buy your self a reset tool so you can change your own oil and do your own dignostics, and maintance, you wont be able to beat a BMW. Good luck! !

βœ–
Depends on what you mean by luxury. Smaller BMWs are ceratinly not "luxury" in European eyes (nor are similar cars from other brands such as Audi and Merc). All depends on options selected as well.
See another part of this thread.
DAS
"Jesse via CarKB.com" <u16215@uwe> wrote in message
βœ–
Jesse via CarKB.com wrote:

have money. The reagular upkeep alone is quite more than a normal car. For example BMW requmendes full synthetic oil and you can’t go just any where to have the oil changed(reset the oil light). Call around a check you will be highly surprised at how hard it is to find people that will even touch a BMW. I found three places here that would change the oil, the prices was 120-100 just for an oil change.

Thanks to all for your responses. Wow! Lots of responses!
Luxury and Sports car rolled into one sounds good! I'm sure that other lines/mfrs are considered more luxurious than BMW, but remember -- my experience has been Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Chevy and Ford (forgot about that last one in my original post).
One question -- I frequently hear about "performance", "well-engineered" etc, when it comes to BMW. Would anyone care to elaborate on exactly what that means to them?
Note: I haven't test-driven a BMW yet, but plan to.
Thanks!
Add pictures here
βœ–
It is subjective. It means different things to different people.
I was in your situation before. I drove all the contenders, but when I finally drove the BMW I stopped test driving and bought it.
As a matter of fact I went from a Lexus dealer to a BMW dealer the same afternoon. No comparison, to me, between the Lexus and the BMW.
<BRH> wrote in message

Add pictures here
βœ–
BMW engines rev freely and sound wonderfull right to the red line.. 7000rpm on petrol engines and 4800 rpm for the Euro diesels (thats high for a diesel). I drive a diesel and even this manages to sound good (nothing like as good as a 6 cylinder though!), loves to be worked hard and pulls like a 330i despite being a lowly(?) 163hp 320d. It's a class leader. I have owned my first BMW for 6-7 weeks now after Nissans and Mitsubishi's over the last 10+ years. Well-engineered to me means the quality feel of every component, the materials used and the tactile sweet feel of every "click" of lever and switch. The gear shift is smooth and precise, I have caught myself changing gear just to marvel at the feel of it (OK I know, I know, I'm sad!) When you close the door or trunk there is a wonderfull "chunk" sound, not a tinny clang. After a couple of weeks of ownership it hit me that everyone who designed this car put a hell of a lot of thought into every detail in making it as refined as can be. It feels "luxurious" and sporty without the need for a heap of silly electronic gadgets which you won't care about when your are flying round a corner at 10, 20 or 30mph faster than every other car you've driven with your wife complaining that you are in a hurry and why are you going so slow (yes, really! it's happen to me.) Look around BMW news groups and chat boards long enough and you will find people who after owning all sorts of other cars are now on their 3rd, 4th 5th, 6th BMW in a row.
Sorry to "wax lyrical"
Add pictures here
βœ–
BRH wrote:

Important to me, is the fact that they just do it right.
They don't make FWD cars. FWD is cheap and fills a market niche, but BMW does not sink so low.
They don't make V6 engines. Most companies make the inferior V6 because it's cheaper - they can share tooling with a V8 and/or turn it sideways and share it with a FWD car.
BMW makes the proper design decisions that result in the best-performing car.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I wouldn't change a word.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Perhaps its the way cars are percieved in the UK, but I do consider Japanese cars to be in a class of their own quite seperate from the "Asian" car makes that Dave listed.

Japanese cars are great, owned Nissans and Mitsibishis for years before getting the BMW. I still say they don't quite match up to the premium European brands for luxury/build quality/engineering, though their reliability is beyond question.

Lol, Chevrolet entered the UK market with re-badged Daewoos recently, got to be one of the stupidest car marketing moves in history. No one is fooled Chevrolet, we really don't need any more cheap car's to choose from. I think I have seen 2 or 3 Chevies ever here. Bring something new, good, competative and appealing to a European market and Chevy might get somewhere.
Add pictures here
βœ–

But they do with their Mini. Also a premium priced product. Think you're being unfair about FWD. Although I prefer RWD, FWD offers a much better package in a small car. You only have to look at the 1 Series to realise this.
Since the current Mini is let down by poor engines, it will be interesting to see how the new version with better ones compares to the 1 Series.
--
*Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now *

βœ–
On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 08:56:35 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

A chap I work with has the new cooper S, he opened the bonnet (hood) for me to have a look... Or more accurate he lifted up the entire front of the car! Wings, headlamps, they all go up!
All I can say is God help anyone who want to do home servicing on one of those! It's all stuffed in there like my holiday suitcase!
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

Add pictures here
βœ–

So was the original Mini - changing and setting points was a pain as was just changing a fan belt. And some hoses. And you had to do these rather more often. ;-)
--
*We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse.

βœ–
On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 12:43:04 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Having had a "real" mini, I'd rather work on that than the new one... Even if I did have to put a marigold over the dizzy cap when it rained!
I could barely see the oil filter on the new mini, let alone touch it!
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

Add pictures here
βœ–
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Mini's not BMW.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Urmmm, the new model Mini's are. In the UK you see a "Mini" section attached to the BMW dealership.
Add pictures here
βœ–
AGH! wrote:

Urmmm, no, they are not.

Irrelevant.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Who makes them and owns them, then? Ford?
--
*A nest isn't empty until all their stuff is out of the attic

βœ–
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Irrelevant.
Add pictures here
βœ–

You must be a marketing man's dream...
--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance. *

βœ–
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Really? I guess those RWD platforms are a pure illusion of marketing. I guess the reality is that the Mini is every bit the car as the "more expensive BMW's", which only sell for higher prices due to marketing or "badge engineering".
Mini's are not BMW's. A Mini driver is in fact incorrect if he claims to be driving a BMW. Mini's are lesser cars, built to a lesser standard.
I can't believe that anyone needs this explained to them.
Add pictures here
βœ–