Considering a BMW - A Few Questions

jerri wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

FORD

Reply to
Scott Robins

I don't understand what this has to do with my "thinking". I gave you the facts; do reread my post.

I have no idea what the abbreviation for Ford Mercury is. Like I said "In said world VERY few people own Mercurys".

Let me also spell out the meaning of "said": outside USA and in BMW/Merc NGs.

I am well aware of the fact that "Merc" can also mean Ford Mercury but... see above...

Whilst literacy is not a requirement for NG contributors one does expect posters to at least have a good read of the post to which they are replying.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Found On Road, Dead? Fix Or Repair Daily?

Reply to
BBO

Thanks. You just made my point!

Reply to
jerri

That's says it much better than I did. I hope the other posters get the point. I'm sure when someone say Benz or MB just about everybody knows what they mean. That evidently isn't the case when someone says Merc. Thanks for your help. Maybe now we can get back on topic and discuss BMWs.

Reply to
jerri

That's my point.

I looked up the defination of "said" and my dictionary didn't mention "USA." BTW this isn't a "BMW/Merc

Reply to
jerri

That's my point.

My dictionary doesn't agree with you and this isn't a "BMW/Merc NG." It's a BMW NG.

Guess what company put the Merc-O-Matic Transmission in their vehicles?

I agree 100%. Please follow your suggestion. This is starting to get silly and I won't read any more responses to this off topic subject. Let's get back to BMW. Can we at least agree on what BMW means? Maybe we can argue the meanings of Bimmer And Beemer! IRMC!

Reply to
jerri

It was silly from the start and you are/were being cussed. I (and you) don't need to know the abbreviation here for a Ford Mercury, which is not the subject of discussion in a BMW or Mercedes or for that matter in most other NGs. The Mercs that are mentioned are normally Mercedes-Benz vehicles and the word might even refer to the parent DC (DaimlerChrysler) Corporation, just so that you don't find another reason to be confused.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

I agree, quite silly. But I must admit that before I started to read usenet auto groups I had never, ever heard a Mercedes abbreviated as Merc even though my father owned Benzes as far back as 1968 and my family has never once owned a Mercury. You see, Merc as an abbreviation for Mercury is quite common here in the US. So naturally I too was thrown off until I figured out that all you Euro types were talking about the Daimler Benz and not FoMoCo products.

I'm afraid it's just another of those (seemingly endless) US/Euro linguistic differences. Just one more thing to hate us all for...

;-)

Reply to
Fred W

Oh no, just another entry for the British English - US English Dictionary...

Vive la difference!

BTW, it is not US/Euro... In Europe there are only two English-speaking countries, and one of them is not very big.

It is US/CA/UK/IE/AU/NZ/ZA/IN...

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

There are 4 in the UK? Of course there is Welsh and the various types of Gaelic, but the main language in all four is English. With variations...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 17:31:36 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)" waffled on about something:

You've obviously never tried to communicate with a Geordie after 8 bottles of Newcastle brown!

No way is that English! :o)

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

Let's not confuse the foreigners with the legal position of England/Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland, and let's stick to the UK and Eire...

:-) DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling