Considering a BMW - A Few Questions

It is subjective. It means different things to different people.

I was in your situation before. I drove all the contenders, but when I finally drove the BMW I stopped test driving and bought it.

As a matter of fact I went from a Lexus dealer to a BMW dealer the same afterno>

Reply to
joe_tide

BMW engines rev freely and sound wonderfull right to the red line..

7000rpm on petrol engines and 4800 rpm for the Euro diesels (thats high for a diesel). I drive a diesel and even this manages to sound good (nothing like as good as a 6 cylinder though!), loves to be worked hard and pulls like a 330i despite being a lowly(?) 163hp 320d. It's a class leader. I have owned my first BMW for 6-7 weeks now after Nissans and Mitsubishi's over the last 10+ years. Well-engineered to me means the quality feel of every component, the materials used and the tactile sweet feel of every "click" of lever and switch. The gear shift is smooth and precise, I have caught myself changing gear just to marvel at the feel of it (OK I know, I know, I'm sad!) When you close the door or trunk there is a wonderfull "chunk" sound, not a tinny clang. After a couple of weeks of ownership it hit me that everyone who designed this car put a hell of a lot of thought into every detail in making it as refined as can be. It feels "luxurious" and sporty without the need for a heap of silly electronic gadgets which you won't care about when your are flying round a corner at 10, 20 or 30mph faster than every other car you've driven with your wife complaining that you are in a hurry and why are you going so slow (yes, really! it's happen to me.) Look around BMW news groups and chat boards long enough and you will find people who after owning all sorts of other cars are now on their 3rd, 4th 5th, 6th BMW in a row.

Sorry to "wax lyrical"

Reply to
AGH!

I don't think 'luxury' necessarily means equipment levels otherwise the very worst Asian maker could be considered a luxury car maker when compared to a base BMW. To me it's to do with the tactile feel of driving the vehicle. And this doesn't change with a BMW regardless of the level of trim and toys.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Luxury:

  1. Something inessential but conducive to pleasure and comfort.
  2. Something expensive or hard to obtain.
  3. Sumptuous living or surroundings: lives in luxury.

Asian car makers have been making more luxurious small-midsize cars as standard than BMW have for decades. However, people usually think of large cars when it comes to luxury like the BMW 7 series, mercedes or lexus limos and of course these all come with creature comforts.

Reply to
adder1969

I'd go for 'enjoyable but not essential thing' - Collins English Dictionary.

It's one of these phrases taken over by the ad man?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Utterly laughable to suggest asian cars can even begin to hold a candle to the likes of a BMW, or a Honda or Toyota, for refinement, ride comfort, handling, quality feel of any part of the vehicle you care to mention, seat comfort, handling, durability ...... yada... yada... yada. Asian cars OK if you want a cheap reliable run-about, which lots of people do.

Reply to
AGH!

I want some of whatever you're smoking...

Hondas and Toyotas *ARE* Asian cars.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

They are, but more normally referred to as Japanese. By Asian I meant things like Kia and Hyundia. Even Daewoo. Oops. Chevrolet?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 11:59:06 -0500, Malt_Hound waffled on about something:

Damn, you beat me too it!

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

Important to me, is the fact that they just do it right.

They don't make FWD cars. FWD is cheap and fills a market niche, but BMW does not sink so low.

They don't make V6 engines. Most companies make the inferior V6 because it's cheaper - they can share tooling with a V8 and/or turn it sideways and share it with a FWD car.

BMW makes the proper design decisions that result in the best-performing car.

Reply to
dizzy

I wouldn't change a word.

Reply to
user

But they do with their Mini. Also a premium priced product. Think you're being unfair about FWD. Although I prefer RWD, FWD offers a much better package in a small car. You only have to look at the 1 Series to realise this.

Since the current Mini is let down by poor engines, it will be interesting to see how the new version with better ones compares to the 1 Series.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Perhaps its the way cars are percieved in the UK, but I do consider Japanese cars to be in a class of their own quite seperate from the "Asian" car makes that Dave listed.

Japanese cars are great, owned Nissans and Mitsibishis for years before getting the BMW. I still say they don't quite match up to the premium European brands for luxury/build quality/engineering, though their reliability is beyond question.

Lol, Chevrolet entered the UK market with re-badged Daewoos recently, got to be one of the stupidest car marketing moves in history. No one is fooled Chevrolet, we really don't need any more cheap car's to choose from. I think I have seen 2 or 3 Chevies ever here. Bring something new, good, competative and appealing to a European market and Chevy might get somewhere.

Reply to
AGH!

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 08:56:35 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)" waffled on about something:

A chap I work with has the new cooper S, he opened the bonnet (hood) for me to have a look... Or more accurate he lifted up the entire front of the car! Wings, headlamps, they all go up!

All I can say is God help anyone who want to do home servicing on one of those! It's all stuffed in there like my holiday suitcase!

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

So was the original Mini - changing and setting points was a pain as was just changing a fan belt. And some hoses. And you had to do these rather more often. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Our '87 528e runs fine on regular. It's one of the things I really like about it. Our Chevy requires premium, as did our Ford before it. We also have a Maxima, and it runs fine on 87 octane.

The real rule of thumb is this: put in the lower grade; if it pings under load, go up in octane the next time around.

The sun is the big enemy of cosmetics. Cars in garages last longer (cosmetically) than cars not in garages, and you don't have to wax as often. But you don't have a garage, so it's moot. You might consider a car cover if it concerns you. At the very least, try to park in the shade and use a windshield screen. That being said, I don't think BMWs do any better or worse than any other car out in the elements.

Reply to
Adrian & Angie

You are referring to 20 year old technology. All recent BMW's have knock sensors which will result in reduced performance and gas mileage in lieu of knock or ping.

Tom K.

Reply to
Tom K.

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 12:43:04 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)" waffled on about something:

Having had a "real" mini, I'd rather work on that than the new one... Even if I did have to put a marigold over the dizzy cap when it rained!

I could barely see the oil filter on the new mini, let alone touch it!

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

Wait until Cherry/Chery start shipping cars out of China. At the reported $12-15K for a fully loaded "luxuary" car, all the other companies are going to be hurting!

Reply to
bfd

Mini's not BMW.

Reply to