Considering a BMW - A Few Questions

Page 6 of 6
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

But a V6 design is often chosen for the above-stated versatility and manufacturing efficiencies, as opposed to being chosen because it's truly the best design for the applications that it's used in.

If you wish to make a space efficient but reasonably powerful and refined vehicle, a V-6 may well be the best choice - regardless of anything else. Horses for courses.
--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack?

dizzy wrote:

What's the difference? It *is* truly the best design for the application if you are trying to stuff an engine into a short space. While I am a fan of I6 engines, a V6 is not all *that* bad.
--
-Fred W

My newest BMW has a balance shaft in it's opposed twin motor. Another inferior design, Dizzy?
Tom
Tom K. wrote:

A twin is a different story, obviously. I was comparing the V6 to the I6. Really tough to figure that out, huh?

They can be, for the reasons I have already noted.

This is pure nonsense.
BRH wrote:

about it. Our Chevy requires premium, as did our Ford before it. We also have a Maxima, and it runs fine on 87 octane.
The real rule of thumb is this: put in the lower grade; if it pings under load, go up in octane the next time around.

(cosmetically) than cars not in garages, and you don't have to wax as often. But you don't have a garage, so it's moot. You might consider a car cover if it concerns you. At the very least, try to park in the shade and use a windshield screen. That being said, I don't think BMWs do any better or worse than any other car out in the elements.

You are referring to 20 year old technology. All recent BMW's have knock sensors which will result in reduced performance and gas mileage in lieu of knock or ping.
Tom K.
Tom K. wrote:

...unless you have an M3 which pink like mad even with premium grade gas.

If my new M5 starts to pink, I think I'll probably throw up. :-)
Eisboch
You mention sale and rebates...These cars sell themselves so I never found any discounts. Only on ones, they were ready to move off their lot.
I would like to suggest a pre-owned certified or even a non-certified with low miles from a BMW dealership. (Something still under warranty or buy an extended warranty if it has higher miles) Most BMW dealerships care about their reputation and will not sell you a piece of junk and still get it fixed up prior to putting it on their lot.
My exp was that if it came in on a trade and was not adequate they sent it to auction rather than putting it on their lot. I just bought my second BMW...1st was new, second was used. Even though the do hold their value, it is a nice feeling knowing I'm not taking the hit on the instant depreciation at drive off.
You may also want to explore leasing, especially if you like to have a new car every 3 years and don't drive many miles. I agree with everyone else...once you drive a higher end vehicle, it is hard to go back to the rest. Just my 2 cents. :-)
wolfeee wrote:

If one buys a used car from a dealer, one is likely going to take that instant depriciation hit. See the difference between "trade in," "private party sale" and "suggested retail value." The buyer probably paid the dealer close to "suggested retail value." If he/she wants to sell it the next day, the best price they'll probably get is around the "private party sale" price.
Anoop