Considering a BMW - A Few Questions

A four is a different story, obviously.

Reply to
dizzy

A twin is a different story, obviously. I was comparing the V6 to the I6. Really tough to figure that out, huh?

Reply to
dizzy

So this means a 1 Series BMW isn't a real BMW because it costs less than a

7 Series?

Hint. The Mini is a premium priced product in its class in exactly the same way as every other BMW.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, if BMW are this premium priced maker you think they are what on earth are they doing fitting inferior 4 cylinder engines?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave, I never thought badly of you, but if you persist in this stupidity, I'll be forced to change my mind.

Mini's are not BMW's.

Reply to
dizzy

Idiot. (See, you did it.)

For many applications, the I4 is appropriate.

Reply to
dizzy

I never thought badly of you but if you persist in this apostrophe abuse I'll be forced to change my mind.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As indeed is a V-6. There's a hole in your bucket...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Its very common in the colonie's for some to indulge in such abuse's when using apostrophe's....or not using them when requirement's dictate.

Dontcha just love it?

Reply to
user

Since I'm posting I might as well say that I tend to agree with this point of view.

I think the jury is out on whether that constitutes apostrophe abuse.

Anoop

Reply to
anoop

Yes, no machine is perfect. In fact, nothing (except G-d) is perfect. That being said, the following views are mine alone...

  1. BMW is a nice car, but overpriced and expensive to maintain. Also, undriveable in the winter without very good snow tires (except for the AWD XI models). They are still rated an enthusiast's car, particularly known for their exceptional handling. And yet most are sold with automatic transmissions. because a lot of folks just want the cachet of owning a bimmer.
  2. Volvo used to be known as "the car for people who hate cars". That is, folks who did not care that much about driving per se, but wanted safety, reliability, and longevity. The 240 was a legend on all three counts, but Ford has unraveled a lot of what Volvo stood for. EG, now they do not do particularly well in crash tests, whereas they were once the benchmark. Still good cars, but not what they used to be.
  3. Saab has been eviscerated by GM. The only things left are the signature grill and the key in the console. All of the great individualistic design is gone, all of the quirky but loveable Saabisms are history. A very sad story. Buy a Saab today and you are getting a gussied-up Opel, or an overpriced Suburu. But, thanks to the durability of Saabs, there are a lot of pre-GM examples still out there that are real bargains. In its heyday (the 70's and early 80's), Saab was every bit as good as BMW (but in a different way).
  4. Mercedes-Benz is now a mediocrity, after its fusion with the brain-dead Chrysler Corporation. They now make 0K cars that match Yugo and Renault for reliability problems.
  5. Jaguar is junk. It used to be the country club car for English lords and ladies (and those aspiring to be such). It is now a marquee of mediocre engineering hiding under nice leather and wood interiors.
  6. American cars are pathetic. The country that invented automotive mass production now can't seem to make cars that appeal to its home market. Very depressing.
7.Asian cars will rule. So get used to their unique combination of reliability, gee-whiz gimmickry, and anime styling. It's here for keeps. Sob.

On second thought, go out and get that bimmer!

Reply to
Joe Sterling

[...]

No it's not. In this case Minis and BMWs are simple plurals of nouns.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This simply isn't true. The engineering is fine and quite innovative - the major use of aluminium in some models is ahead of the pack. Their main problem IMHO is basing the smaller models on Ford body shells and failing to make them look special. And with the larger one sticking to the classic look of a '60s design.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nonsense. BMWs are no worse to drive in the snow and ice than any other RWD car, and due to the balanced weight distribution, are actually better than some. The "legendary" Volvo 240 was a RWD car and was certainly as bad or worse than current BMWs, even though they came from Scandinavia where the winters are notorious.

Yes, they are (were?) an enthusiasts car, no doubt. But they have achieved such a cult status that they are perceived as "luxury" cars by the general public. This doubles edged persona is what has been the downfall of BMW development in my opinion. Because the majority of the car buying public cannot appreciate the superior driving capabilities of a BMW, the design goals have shifted to the more profitable luxury cachet features. The mere inclusion of these features (NAV, PDC, etc.) is a big mistake in my opinion.

Now that I can agree with. But don't do it for the perceived status. Do it for the driving experience. If you can't appreciate that, then don't do it.

Reply to
Fred W

I agree. Jaguar is still making some very impressive cars, but somewhat like Porsche's unwillingness to let the 911 die, they seem terrified of doing a serious redesign of the XJ. epbrown

--

2003 BMW 325i Black/Black 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
Reply to

I can attest to that, being Scandinavian and all. My dad used to have one of the Volvo 240, and if you didn't take care how you cornered you would go straight ahead.

I usually had to downshift and blip the pedal to have it swing the rear out to recover when that happened. Which was quite often. The car had a turbocharged intercooled B21 engine and was rather fun during summer, but it was during winter it was the most fun.

Reply to
BBO
1) Volvo. That's an urban myth. In European tests Merc almost always cam out on top and BMW was/is way up there, too. Depends on model, of course.

2) Jag. Far better that it was, at least in its later pre-Ford days. A byword for unreliability. Ford poured billions into the factory to get it up to scratch.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

But what if you stop abusing the apostrophe? The plural of MINI is MINIs. Ditto BMWs.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Oops, I replied in haste before seeing your post...

Still, 'duplication' is reinforcement.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling