drivers side / rear speakers

E38 / 740i, USA 140K
so I finally got around to installing new drivers/rear passenger side speakers. The old ones were "popping/crackling". When I removed them
the rubber membrane around the speakers were split in many area's I didn't install any on the other passenger side, since they were OK (for now- and will be another project soon)
sorta easy after watching youtube demo's on door removal and speaker installation
But - there's no sound coming out of them. I increased the sound level to max... nothing. but I do hear a crackling/popping noise when I adjust the sound level incrementally in the rear speakers, so the question is ... IF the rear speakers are non-functional (wire loose, dead, shorted or something else), would they affect the new speakers I installed