e32 - auto -- shift trim -- how to replace?

In the e32 -- automatic transmission. There's a bit of trim that slides with the gear selector... How does one replace that?

I read the manual; but it skips over how to remove the wood trim that's there to gain access... it just shows the picture of it removed.

Thanks

-josh

Josh Assing

Removing the wood panel is quite easy - you'll need a coupld of wire hooks with pointed ends. Just use the hooks to lift the front edge of the trim panel upwards and then ease it up off the locating pegs at the rear end (having removed the gear handle first).

Take a look at

for pictures and details of a home-made slide replacement.

HTH

Reply to
SteveG

Awesome! Thanks.

It really looks like the leather is ONTOP of the wood.. That looks really easy.

I'm constantly amazed at how well BMW did some things. (Like the door trim -- I just adjusted the window) very few tools needed, and it all went back together perfectly... This could not be done on an american car...

Even the "snap in" bits (wood trim, for example) align up & look great.

Thanks for the pictures & tips.

-josh

Josh Assing

You're welcome :-)

I know what you mean about how well things fit together in the BMW. I also have a Discovery and nothing fits on that - everything has to be forced/stretched/pushed/pulled and generally bodged to get it back together.

Reply to
SteveG

Wow -- sounds like a british car.... (d'oh!)

Josh Assing