E36 ODB2 on UK car

I researched as much as possible, but the question still seems to be out there.
Does anyone know if a UK 1997 E36 has ODB2, ODB1 or is it BMW format (eg
Peake readers)?
It doesn't have an ODB2 socket but some seem to think it has ODB2 and a suitable lead might work.
I'm trying to diagnose a faulty ABS wheel sensor, I know the BMW dealer can do this so I should be able to with the right software and lead.
--
Tony Stanley ++Always Learning++

It is neither. OBD is USA specific. It wouldn't matter anyway, OBD has nothing to do with ABS. You would need to have a dealer, or an independent shop (with the very expensive diagnostic tools) figure it out.

Well I know enough to say thats wrong. All UK petrol cars from 2001 are EODB (which I think =ODB2) compliant. Some in the interim (since the US mandate) are partial ODB.
--
Tony Stanley ++Always Learning++

Make that hardware and software.
Besides, OBD(*) is primarily concerned with emissions and doesn't deal with brake fault codes.
It's possible to find a faulty ABS wheel sensor with a fairly basic DVM.
--
*To err is human. To forgive is against company policy.

Yes well I'll probably resort to that to fix this problem.
I am an Electronics Engineer, if there is equipment to talk to it is possible to make / buy aftermarket adaptors to do it, but it helps to know the protocol used. I wanted to get properly setup to look after my partners car, and preferably get ODB2 compliant equipment for future diagnosis on future cars. So I don't mind investing say 100, you'd save that pretty quickly against dealer charges.
Its a pity equipment doesn't seem to exist to do what the dealer can do (other than BMW stuff), there must be a barrier somewhere, secret codes or no market for it.
--
Tony Stanley ++Always Learning++

Tony Stanley wrote:

It could be tough, as some failures only appear when the car is moving.

It's both. BMW or any other manufacturer has no reason to publish the specifications of the diagnostic interface, so it does not publish it. On the other hand, such 3rd party equipment does exist. For example, http://www.carsoftinternational.com /
In essence, it does not matter if it is an proprietary BMW connector or OBD, as they both use the same "K-line" electrical interface. It's just a different shape of the plug. Strictly speaking, OBD is a mix of 3-4 different electrical interfaces, one for GM, one for FORD, one for MB/VAG/BMW and so on. There is some minimum functionality governed by the OBD standard in order to allow the emisions tests, but anything beyond this remains specific to the manufacturer.
And it is getting much more interesting. The car manufacturers have just discovered the joys of encryption. I know that some of them are working on the new generation of the diagnostic equipment which will require online connection to the manufacturers HQ.