Front Control Arm Repair

I am going to have to replace the front control arms (lower in case anyone asks) on my son's 87 325i and am wondering it I can press out the old ball joints and press in new ones. I see the entire arms for
sale but I also see "kits" that just have the ball joints and new control arm bushings. Will probably go to a bushing that's adjustable for camber but I'm still looking into that. Opinions are accepted on this... Mainly looking to see if anyone else has fixed these this way or if they've just replaced the whole arm.

Don't know the particular parts, but usually you need a press.
I have access to a press (my father in law builds classic cars and those things ALWAYS seem to need a little persuasion) so that's not an issue. I was actually more interested in opinions of whether or not it was a worthwhile method of repair. The control arms in the car are in good shape, the inner ball joints are toast though.
On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 13:10:55 +0000 (UTC), "R. Mark Clayton"

I just replaced the whole arm for $100 ea. If your inner BJs are bad, your outers are not far behind. New bushing mandatory and require a special adhesive. Labor was $150 per side. Add new tie rods and you're done with the front end.
Misterbeets wrote:

The outer balljoints are the only ones that are replaceable. But they are also the ones that tend to wear out (with the weight of the car on them).
Replacement arms can be found on eBay for $130 for the pair including the required new bushings:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-BMW-E30-Control-Arm-Set-W-Bushings-318-325_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33583QQitemZ8035455073QQtcZphoto
For that price it doesn't make sense to try to press in new outer joints since you will probably end up replacing the bushings too anyway.
I have bought BMW suspension parts from this vendor in the past and the Hamburg Technic parts seem to be of better quality than the Meyle or other aftermarket brands around, and substantially less expensive than the OE Lempforder (sp?) parts.
There is no adhesive required for the bushings. You only need something to use as a lubricant that will dissipate and not damage the rubber of the bush. I use silicone spray which works fine.
--
-Fred W

That's actually where I wound up ordering the parts from. They were very helpful in meeting the requirements I had. I wound up paying a little more as I wanted the M3 solid offset bushings and I'm having them shipped 2nd day. Need the car back on the road...
On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 10:51:59 -0500, Fred W

Psycho wrote:

Good deal. You won't regret it. I actually have received my parts from them in 2-3 days anyway because they are just down the road in Connecticut.
I have the M3 bushings on my E36 as well and I really like the feeling the added castor gives to the steering. It improved the straight line stability and provides an increase in the "return to center" that I like. The only downside was a slight increase in the feeling of bumpsa nd road vibration in the wheel, but many folks say they actually prefer it that way too.
So now, the only trick for you (other than busting the balljoints out of the car) will be to get the new bushings pressed into the brackets (ans the old ones out obviously).
--
-Fred W

As I said before, I've access to a press so none of that concerns me. I may take the control arms that are in the car now and press the ball joints out, saving them for future use (my car). I feel all the bumps in the road as it is, I have an 89 325i with the Bavarian Autosport springs and Bilstien sport shocks and struts. Not a Cadillac by any means.... Sure dirves nice though....
On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 15:08:12 -0500, Fred W