front lower control arm bushings

Howdy,

My dealer is recommending that I replace the front lower control arm bushings on my 1999 323i. My BMW has about 57,000 miles on it, and the quote for replacing them is around $550.00. Is this a reasonable price? Do I really needs these replaced based on the amount of miles that I have on the car?

Thanks!

Reply to
Michael.A.Kelley

It's a bit of a low mileage for new bushes unless you drive like an animal. Even so, the bushes are only £12-£18 each and allowing 30mins for pressing the old ones out and new ones in $550 seems outrageous. Complete new arms are only about £50ea complete. Find a new dealer.

JB

Reply to
JB

Reply to
Troika

You'd know if you did - you'll get wheel wobble at about 50-60 mph.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Assuming an E46, here:

This is an outrageous price for lower control arm bushings, which take about 5 minutes each to replace and cost about USD100 in parts. It's a very reasonable price for replacing both lower control arms, which are about USD400 the pair and a pain in the neck (and elsewhere) to replace because the internal hex socket at the top of the inner ball joint shaft is difficult to reach and will be partly filled with rust, making it difficult to remove. It's an especially reasonable price for both control arms and the bushings. (I normally do my own work but had someone offered USD550 for both arms and the rear bushings I'd have taken them up on it.)

From the price, I suspect that they really meant replacing the lower control arms. If they really meant just the bushings, run in the other direction at best speed. ;-)

These are forged aluminum arms with unreplaceable pressed-in ball joints. The bushings mount separately near the junction of firewall and floor.

Reply to
JRE

They may be worn at that mileage, but the price they are asking is way too high. This is a quick job wioth very inexpensive parts.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

On an E36? That's not my experience...

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Wow, thanks guys for all of the responses!

I don't seem to feel wheel wobble (unless its something settle which I don't notice.)

I did ask why it was so expensive, and the service guy said it was because of the labor involved (it would take 2-3 hours to do the replacement.)

Reply to
Michael.A.Kelley

Ok. But just about any wear anywhere on strut suspension can result in wheel wobble.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Go elsewhere. It can be done in about 1/2 an hour if you have the specialized BMW tool that allows you to do it with the arms still on the car.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound