Gear for Seat Adjustment

Somebody posted a link to a site that has the gears that live inside the seats, and are used to adjust the various positions.
I thought I saved the link, but apparently did not. Now, I have a seat that
I can not adjust but I can hear the motor running as I operate the switch.

Posibly not the gears. A friend had an E32 with a similar problem.
The motor is connected to the gearbox via a flexible metal driveshaft in a plastic tube. Over the years the plastic expands and pulls the square end of the metal out of the gearbox or motor! Strange but true.
All you need to do is heat the metal end of the tube with a lighter for a 10 secs to soften it, then pull the end off. Cut 1/2" off the plastic sheath then put the metal end bity back on. Fixed his 7 series nicely! :-)
No, it's the gear. I have to remove the seat and turn it upside down. then, I will see the transmission, and I have to take a cover off to expose the guts, and the gear can be replaced.
I was looking on eBay for parts to fix my problem, and I came across the E32 repairs, and I definitely do not have the same stuff as the E32 has.
I was going to simply live with the trouble because the seat is right were I like it, but things have changed at my house and my wife drives my car now, and she is about half my size -- making the seat adjustment (or lack of one) a critical need. Now, I can't find the link that I ignored in the past ...
John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland

John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland

I have all that stuff burned to CD, if you want a copy. The web addresses are there as well.
Bill in Omaha '86 535i
I found the old thread from back in Apr. 2006.
If anybody has a broken seat adjuster, try this link, http://www.odometergears.com /