It has suddenly become difficult to get into first or reverse.

One day it was working fine and then the next it wouldn't get into first, second, or reverse without a lot of struggle. I am wondering if it is the
clutch. Any ideas?
I agree, the clutch is the first on the list of usual suspects.

Model, age?
Possibly an E36 I would guess and sounds like the clutch centre plate is dragging.