Freelander difficult to get in gear

2000 1.8 petrol Freelander. I find I have to be VERY gentle to get in into gear, but still crunches when trying reverse 50% of the time. Yesterday it refused to go into any gear - I eventually managed to engage 2nd, pulled forward, then all gears were achievable.

There appears to be play in the dampener arm above the gear rod, should it be like this, or do I simply need a new bush?

TIA, Angus

Reply to
JoeBrown