Key - battery won't charge

When I bought my 2000 735i it came with two remote keys.
One works fine, but the other won't work the remote only the locks.
I tried the recommended method of using the key on a long drive to recharge
it to no avail.
The battery is presumably dead, but appears inaccessible.
Is there any way to revitalise the key or will I need to order a new one from a dealer?
--

R. Mark Clayton

snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com
On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 14:50:40 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"

2000 ----------- Hmm! these have a new style battery that is charged by the induction method.
According to the BMW service CD this key also stores info and can be read or detected by the dealer's modic or whatever system. According to the Cd it's a Dealer fix item and proof of ownerships is required.
Hugh
Anyone know if a 1999 528i key is similar? I only got 1 key with the car (seems to work fine, but buttons worn off). I bought another from the dealer ($160). I have wondered how long the battery lasted, if its chargable and/or changable...
Interesting thread.
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote in wrote:

I'm not sure when they changed - my early 528 has a replaceable cell. Look for an obvious way of opening the key body.
--
*Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

Only obvious latch is the little cover on the back (I assumed it was the battery door with my old key), but when I bought the new key, it was just an empry space... I pointed it out to them, and they sold me a little cover for $4 to snap over it (maybe its where the colors go for the key memory identifers?).
Both keys seem to work fine, if I should use the old key every now and then to "charge" it, I will. I would use it more if it didnt look so trashed. Does anyone know if you can get new rubber buttons for the remote part of the key?

requires periodic battery replacements. I received two of them, but the key that doesn't show wear on the rubber buttons stopped working as a remote, even after a battery replacement. Since I'm too cheap to spring for a replacement, I just use it as a 2nd emergency spare.
I have the new style keys for my '03 Z4 and they both recharge just fine when used at least every other month or so. They also have plastic buttons which haven't worn so far ...
Tom K.

You do realize that it has to be PROGRAMMED to the car. Read your owner's manual or visit a dealer.
Fiddly but must be done.

Of course. It was programmed and functioned perfectly for about 5 years - 2 years after the warranty expired. Now it sends out no signal and the red light on the key doesn't flash as it should.
Tom K.
If you meant me (the 528i), I bought it from the dealer and they did the off-on-off-on, etc to 'mate' it an my other key to the car. After a battery change (in the 328 example below), do they have to redo that again?
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote in

reprogram the key (could be slightly longer but the capacitors are not that big inside the key so don't hold your breath)
Hugh

That makes sense. Thanks. Mike
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote in