95 200sx battery won't charge

Daughter has a 200sx 1.6l.

On a trip alternator blew.

She had the alternator replaced but the battery still won't charge and alternator won't keep car running. Car runs well as long as battery is recharged but as soon as the charge drops ( about 80 miles) the car stops. This is a new alternator. Was replaced over 300 miles away so we can't just take it back to the shop to have the problem corrected.

What am I missing in the charging circuit? All fuses are good. Is there a way to check the alternator with a voltage meter? Is there some other fuse in this circuit that is not in the standard fuse blocks.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Gunnermac

Perhaps it's a faulty battery?

Reply to
willshak

Bad battery.

On a trip alternator blew.

She had the alternator replaced but the battery still won't charge and alternator won't keep car running. Car runs well as long as battery is recharged but as soon as the charge drops ( about 80 miles) the car stops. This is a new alternator. Was replaced over 300 miles away so we can't just take it back to the shop to have the problem corrected.

What am I missing in the charging circuit? All fuses are good. Is there a way to check the alternator with a voltage meter? Is there some other fuse in this circuit that is not in the standard fuse blocks.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
~Poorboy~

With a Voltmeter... measure the Voltage at the battery terminals with the engine running. What is it?

Telstar Electronics

Battery is good.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I found the problem and corrected it.

What happened is that there is a two wire connector that attaches to the alternator and the friction fit female tabs had opened just enough to make contacts an open. I closed the contacts enough to make a good connection and all is well. Obviously the mechanic didn't take the time to verify his work and make sure that the alternator was actually charging the battery.

All bad things were magnified simply because my daughter was over 300 miles away when she was having problems and I couldn't be there to help her. We have all learned something from this but it wasn't fun.

Reply to
Gunnermac