Maintenance schedule for '03 E46 325i

Page 2 of 3

So you know as much about computers as cars then?
BTW, telling the world who or who is not in your killfile shows just how overvalued you think your opinions are. I doubt anyone cares who you read except for yourself. So live with it.
--
*Sometimes I wake up grumpy; Other times I let him sleep.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I particularly liked the "Plow-Man" bit. Such a witty fellow...
--
-Fred W

Don't bother responding to plowman's replies. All he does is spew venom. And he is clueless about BMWs anyway...especially the US versions.
gw

Thanks for your reply.
Most of the replies I received contained useful information. Especially the one that mentioned www.bimmerzone.com.
I'll have to spend a little to get the 'reset tool' and a proper manual, but since I expect to drive my car 'til the wheels fall off, I'll save quite a bit over the long run.

Oops! Dave - you and I are getting a reputation????????

Just why would you re-set a indicator you say you wish to ignore? I'm genuinely puzzled.
--
*Cover me. I'm changing lanes.

Of course we are clueless about the US versions as all the US versions are de tuned Euro cars. We get the real ones over here and that is why Dinan etc have to modify the US version to get them close to the UK-Euro spec.

Oh, so that's why the lowest models we get are the 230HP 328i and 528i, and 360HP 750i. Too bad your "real" models are "tuned" to about 100HP less.
FloydR

No that isn't why. that is due to market forces. In the US according to BMW it is a prestige vehicle where in Germany is it as common as shit or should that be Chevy?
Nobody in the US would buy a 1.8Lt 4 door sedan with steel wheels but in Germany they do and the UK has high fuel costs so we do get the smaller engined models but invariable they are loaded to the gills with goodies to make then a desirable proposition.
The base models do not come with a sunroof, tinted glass and alloy wheels and are quite cheap to buy. The US as I said get models that sing and dance but due to your "safety" and "emission" controls loads of Euro stuff get demoted. I understand that some of the same specced cars that we have limited to 155mph you get limited to 135mph. If that isn't a case of de tuning (Ok so that is simply speed)......................

LMAO! Boy, are you too serious and can't understand the slightest facetious comments.
BTW, your comments about US cars having less performance is simply no longer true (except in a very few cases such as the M3 CSL not being available.) For instance, I could go up to Bellevue BMW and buy an Alpina B7 *RIGHT NOW*. The rest of your comments can also be dismissed as the rantings of a clueless person who doesn't really know much about the American market's cars.
FloydR
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

Bzzzt. Wrong answer. Lots of people in the US buy 1.8liter (or smaller engined) cars with steel wheels, etc. Just not from BMW or any other german marque (close exception being VW). When US consumers look at the econoboxes they either go Asian or domestic. The domestic cars are probably the cheapest to own as the service costs are considerably lower. There are lots of domestic US cars made that get good gas mileage. They just drive like crap.
--
-Fred W

Point taken Fred - I forgot to mention that - It's the same over here people buy crap cars (Not all other makes are crap - just to the like of you and me and my ex-wife's Toyota and my friend's (yes I do have some) Honda are not crap just not BMW)
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

You're full of shit, as usual.

Advertising is not evidence.

I have already disproved that - US cars have the most powerful engines standard.

I don't know what you mean by "badged ..." Certainly US BMWs have different options and packages. For instance, no "Se" package has ever existed over here.

This has been heavily posted about over the last few years. US uses a different HP rating system than EU, and because of *STRICTER* US emissions requirements the engines often have a few less HP due mostly to placement of the catalyst closer to the engine, and inclusion of an air pump for startup reduction.

Most US cars weigh a bit more - they all have A/C, power windows and door locks, power seats (except for some 3-series) for instance. There is also some slight differences because US roads have different characteristics (concrete joints and surfaces) than EU and demands different suspension tuning to accomodate those conditions, especially natural frequencies; you wouldn't want to be bouncing due to a road-induced harmonic.

You're completely wrong on this. US-designed engines make just as much HP as EU-designed engines. Engineering is engineering, after all. My guess is you're looking at displacement; the same reason not many diesel engines are used is the same reason bigger gasoline engines exist: it's cheaper to go big than fast.
Diesel is a whole different ball park (soccer pitch? rugby? cricket?)

Uhh, the last time I checked 500 hp is more than 380 hp. Better get your facts straight (of course, that hasn't stopped you in the past).
BTW, BMW doesn't make a 5L V8; it's 4.8L. Again, you need to check your facts.
FloydR

Ok so they list it as a 750 it's close enough and the 745 was a 4.4 and the 740 is 3.9 I actually meant the V12 sorry about that.
I notice that the Ford Jaguar has to also use a supercharger to anywhere near the torque of the new 535d or even that of the euro 4.0 V8 diesel BMW.
It is such a pity that your gas prices are not near the European prices because US engineers might just start to go smaller with high efficiency.
BTW I absolutely adore the 69-72 Cuda' & Challenger pity they don't go around corners and have that big iron donk up front - the Hemi is nice @ 6MPG

The base Cuda had a "slant six" engine that is, in many ways, remarkably similar to the M30 BMW engine. Ranged in size from 170 to 225 cubic inches (about 3.1L to 3.9L).
FloydR

IMHO it dates from the early days of emission control where the mods made to US spec cars did reduce the maximum power output of a European engine - and by quite a margin. These days there is little difference in emissions spec anyway and methods of achieving this are far more sophisticated with consequently less losses.
There are a few more recent examples of US spec BMWs having poorer performance, though. Early 6 cylinder E39 autos (and others) had 4 speed autos rather than the ZF 5 speed which did make a difference to the performance. Why, I've never discovered.
--
*Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Try this link http://www.bimmerzone.com/inspection.htm

If you have your manuals, you should have a booklet titled "Service and Warranty Information" which has the maintenance schedule for Oil Service, Inspection I and Inspection II. It also allows for your dealer/tech to document the service. On your car, the service lights illuminate based on fuel consumption (only ... so many liters and the lights come on), which usually runs in the 15-16,000 mile range: Oil, Insp 1, Oil, Insp 2, etc.
You can get the schedules on the BMW owner's circle. To join all you need is your VIN.
Things not mentioned in the service, but should be: Differential ... Every 30K (every Inspection is good enough) P/S fluid ... Every 30K Manual trans ... Every 30K
I'd also recommend drain and refill of the coolant on a 2 year schedule vice 4.
R / John

What part of "when the lights go out" don't you understand? Perhaps I can help - When the green lights go out and the orange one comes on - book it in. If the red light comes on the car will self destruct within 15 miles if not taken to a dealer.......
Any clearer?
Hugh