5281 suspension problem

just got in to my 1999 528i touring at the shops drove out the car park and there was a slight bang and the whole rear end of the car is now down to the bump stops however for the last week there has been a slight hissing sound at the rear passenger side any ideas please

Reply to
dale hammond

You have the self-levelling rear suspension?

If so, not any more.

It is "air suspension" apparently extremely reliable but expensive to repair when it does go wrong (so I am led to believe).

Reply to
Jeremy

Actually - not all that expensive or difficult to repair - it's an air suspension, not hydraulic as the older BMs were.

The airbag/spring on that side has gone blooey (tech-term) - people have replaced these in their driveway - but on a lift would be lots easier. The bags list for someplace around $200.. can probably be gotten cheaper with a bit of searching.

Reply to
admin

Reply to
dale hammond