Maintenance Schedule S40 and S60

I'm in the market for a used S40 or S60 for my son. I'm finding some fairly interesting cars, but all of them are near 100,000 miles or over. I've had Volvos in the past, a couple of 240s, so the high miles don't bother me. But I'd like to know what sort of maintenance might be almost due before I buy. Things like when should the timing belt, water pump, etc., be replaced. Where can I find the maintenance schedules for these two models?

Also, I've been discouraged from buying the first model year of either one. I believe the S60 started in 2001. Not sure when the S40 started. Does avoiding the first model year seem like reasonable advice?

Thanks

Reply to
Bubba

2000 was the first model year for the S40 in the uS, but it was sold before that in Europe.

My U.S. 2000 S40 has not had problems I'd ascribe to a first-year model. Consumer Reports has an annual issue with repair records of cars by make, model, and year. Most libraries have it.

Reply to
Marvin

The schedule for maintenance should be with the owners manual, but figure on average the timing and drive belts should be replaced every

75k. Or contact the dealer since those schedule vary by model and year. A more important record would be the one showing that maintenance had been done on schedule for the first 100,000 miles. Also consider having a competent Volvo mechanic give the car a pre- purchase inspection. I've found it to be invaluable when buying cars for kids about to become 3 college students.

I'm not aware of any first year problems as there were with the S80. However, consider that even on a car with first year problems it would make sense that they were fixed on a car that has accumulated 100,000 miles.

Reply to
Roadie

On Volvo's website. Go to

Click on your country. For the USA, it is at:

Click on Owners Info

Sign In (any email address will do)

Click on Owners Library for all the:

Maintenance Charts Owners Manuals Vehicle ID Number VIN codes Vehicle Identification Codes codes Warranty Books

For every model and year since 1965:

Shortcut:

Stephen Henning