Maintenance schedule, 2000 Solara

I have a 2000 Solara, V6, manual transmission, second owner, 43,000 miles. I bought the car at 4 yr/28000 miles. Previous owner changed the oil every 6 months. No other maintenance done. I had the vehicle inspected by the dealer at purchase and replaced a CV boot.

I change the oil every 6 months/

Reply to
Paul Stivers

Paul Stivers

I would not wait 10 months with an oilchange. Color is usually not a good indicator for the remaining life of additives in the oil. Therefore, even with less than 5000 miles, I would change as a minimum every 6 months. (Think sludge!)

As to the timing belt, follow the manual. The belt material ages under the influence of time, stress and mileage. Yours, after 6.5 years seems to be overdue (Think peace of mind!)

As to the spark plugs, it's your call. BTW, the new iridium plugs will last up to 120K miles.

Reply to
Hanna Lahy

I would not wait 10 months with an oilchange. Color is usually not a good indicator for the remaining life of additives in the oil. Therefore, even with less than 5000 miles, I would change as a minimum every 6 months. (Think sludge!)

As to the timing belt, follow the manual. The belt material ages under the influence of time, stress and mileage. Yours, after 6.5 years, seems to be overdue (Think peace of mind!)

As to the spark plugs, it's your call. BTW, the new iridium plugs will last up to 120K miles.

Reply to
Hanna Lahy

Hopefully, you meant 5,000 miles and not 50,000 miles!

Yes, looking at the coolant in the reservoir is a good indication of the condition of the coolant in the radiator.

I would wait until the mileage interval rather than the time interval for the spark plugs and timing belt. The timing belt will deteriorate somewhat with time but unless you are going double the time interval, I wouldn't worry.

A timing belt inspection is not too difficult, basically it involves removing a few bolts on the timing belt cover.

Reply to
Ray O

steve-o

You are kidding right? I mean changing the oil every 6 mos/ 50,000 miles?. How many cars have you owned? oil changes every 3-5,000 miles is the norm. at 50,000 you shouldn't own a car no less a rare 5-spd 6 'lara.

Reply to
steve-o