over reving

Page 1 of 3
bmw 530i new to steptronic transission
driving my car using the stepronic mode aciddently down shifted to lower gear instead of up shifting to higher gear rpm shot up to 4500rpm would this result in
damage to the car or transmission. Also how high of a rpm am i able to achieve without hurting or damaging the car.

Please read the thread you have already started on this subject.

Depends on the car. There is a red line on the rev' counter. This should not be exceeded. Running near it for prolonged periods will greatly shorten the life of your engine.
On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 01:28:46 -0500, "cruso"

I would suggest that the engine shuts off automatically to protect itself if the rpm gets into the red area.
Obviously you should not drive it at max rpm all the time :o)
I never tried, but do not think that the StepTronic gearbox would allow you to shift into a gear that would break the car. But why bother switching it manually - I think that it does a great job on it's own.
** Lars
says...

I often use the manual override to take it down a gear or two when I am planning an overtake - no need to worry about if the kick down will happen as smoothly/timely as you want it - two taps of the lever then floor it!
--

jeremy
['01 BMW 530iA SE Touring]

Usually just switching to sport mode will make it drop a cog, and then you should be ready - in S the box will change up if you manage to red line it, whereas in a manually selected gear it will simply limit the rev's.

Clayton says...

Sure but if you're doing 60 and want to make an overtake, simply switching into S will drop to 4th but you'll still likely want to drop to 3rd to make the quickest pass. Not hard to remember to nudge the lever forward when the revs reach 5.5k or revs ;)
--

jeremy
['01 BMW 530iA SE Touring]

Well, I think that pulling it into the S mode does the trick, in general that takes it down on gear which normally produces quite sufficient torque to overtake the most...
** Lars / 2002 - 530dA touring
says...

Quite possibly because of what you drive

I think dropping down 2 is required more often though in mine :)
--

jeremy
['01 BMW 530iA SE Touring]

It doesn't shut off, but it starts not firing to limit the rev's.
cruso wrote:

if it's smart it won't let you downshift if the revs will spike past the redline... when that happens in a manual gearbox (usually 3rd to 2nd shift instead of 3rd to 4th) it's called the 'money shift' because you bend all your valves and lose a lot of money in about 0.2 seconds ! but in an auto it's not really possible, even the newer manual with auto-clutch boxes will not let you go past redline
4500rpm though is nothing, assuming you're past the break-in period (usually 1500km i think these days). you really should let it have a good rev now and then, don't be scared of watching the tach needle soar, the engine will love it and so will you !

The lock up on my previous ZF 5 speed (not Steptronic) on an E34 525 was absolute. That's what I dislike about the 'nanny state' Steptronic - it doesn't allow you to start in a high gear in ice, etc. Or run the engine to the rev limiter. On a fun twisty road it's often the case where you'd do that with a manual in say second gear then back off slightly before the next bend - but the Steptronic changes up.
--
*Succeed, in spite of management *

It doesn't change up if you're in manual mode?
--

jeremy
['01 BMW 530iA SE Touring]

The ZF version on UK cars does - it will change up or down if you exceed the rev limits at either end. Could be the GM version as fitted to some US BMWs may be different - but I doubt it.
--
*If they arrest the Energizer Bunny, would they charge it with battery? *

Oh I hadn't noticed that - there's been a few times when I've been in manual mode on mine and noticed that it *hasn't* changed up automatically - it only changes down automatically when you come to a *very* low speed.
Perhaps I just haven't abused it enough yet.
--

jeremy
['01 BMW 530iA SE Touring]

You don't abuse a BMW engine by taking it to its rev limit. It's actually quite a sensible thing to do once in a while - after making sure it's properly warmed up.
In Steptronic mode it changes up at the same maximum speeds as in kickdown - normal or sport.
--
*I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Not the ones I've driven. It stayed in the gear that it was in until I moved the lever, except when you came to a crawl...
--
-Fred W

Are you saying that if you have it in "manual" mode then it *won't* change up under any circumstances? I haven't explicitly tested this but have never known mine to shift up automatically. But this seems to disagree with Dave's experience?
--

jeremy
['01 BMW 530iA SE Touring]

Interesting experiment
Select say 2nd and rev to red line, and then keep pressing the options are: -
1. Car changes to 3rd and keeps accelerating. Unlucky if on steep descent, but might not change if accelerator not pressed.
2. Car stays in gear and EMU limits rev's to red line - no change in speed. Shame if you are overtaking a truck with something coming towards you.
3. Engine over rev's. Expensive trip to the repair shop.
Does it make any difference in a diesel?
Clayton says...

Option 2 is in my opinion how it should behave if you're in manual mode - otherwise it is not manual IYSWIM.
Only a complete pillock would fail to register that it might be a good idea to engage a higher gear....

No idea.
--

jeremy
['01 BMW 530iA SE Touring]

Which it's not. It changes up or down regardless of the gear you've selected once outside the pre-determined rev limits. No true manual I've ever driven does this. ;-)

True - but then the engine has a rev limiter to keep it safe.
--
*Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.