PIC: Leaked: The BMW 4-Series Gran Coupe

I'm looking forward to seeing the reviews on the 4-series. I have every confidence that it will be the best yet. This is one sharp looking car.

Leaked: The BMW 4-Series Gran Coupe

From CR

Everybody loves leaked photos of cars that haven't even been unveiled yet, but sometimes they need a little explaining. In the middle is the BMW 4-Series Gran Coupe, "Gran Coupe" being BMW-ese for "swoopy looking sedan."

First, BMW made the 3-Series sedan, and based on that there's a

3-Series GT awkward hatchback thing, the 4-Series coupe, the 4-Series convertible, and now this: the 4-Series Gran Coupe. The idea of it is a little weird, but the execution is quite nice, and if it retains the 4-Series' sharper driving dynamics when compared to the 3-series, we think it will be fantastic. Of course, it's still completely redundant, but we think it might be the best of the three nearly identical cars. View the attachments for this post at:
cazza13

No, it's really not. I saw one in person, the other day. It's hideous, and I can't believe that BMW needs so many variantions of the

  1. Sedan. Couple. Convertible. Wagon. "Gran Coupe".

Arguably the X1 and X3 as well, although the X1 is based on the E90.

The prices are getting rather stunning, as well. You can spend $60,000 US on a 328i!

For about the same price, they had a 2012 E90 M3 convertible with only

4,000 miles on it!
Reply to
dizzy

Saw one of those 6 Gran Coupes in the wild the other day.

Looks nice, but I dare say it is a bit cramped and difficult to get in and out of.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

I saw one at the dealer, recently. I couldn't figure it out, a 4-door

6-series. Not the car for me, but undeniably a nice luxury barge.

The prices, though, and the decline of the sportiness, are conspiring to keep me away from BMW, in the future. My beloved E46 is getting near the end, and I'm leaning strongly toward the Lexus IS350. If one is careful with the options, the IS is a damn nice car for under $45,000. IMO, its as good-as or better-than the 328i in almost every way, with the one exception being that BMW's turbo 4-banger is considerably more efficient.

Reply to
dizzy

"decline of sportiness"

Yes BMW's have ABS brakes, so they don't slide when you brake in the wet - that's why I bought my first 735i in 1985*. Yes BMW's have DSC so they don't stick the tail out if you give it too much wellie. Yes BMW's have 8 speed auto boxes that are far more efficient than and now out perform the most skilfully changed manual

Exotica (like Aston Martin) aside they still go faster on the straight bits and round corners than most of the opposition and with a lot less fuss, the

5's and 7s are comfortable too, so me I will stick with BMW's.

  • back in 1985 I hired a Pontiac Grand AM in Oregon. It was probably the worst car I have ever driven (although I have been in worse). A feeble derated 3 litre injection engine, an appalling 3 speed auto box and handling so bad that you had to wind down the windows and listen for tyre squeal to know when to back it off. Still for straight line US roads with a 55mph limit it is probably all the average American driver needs...

R. Mark Clayton

ZF's 8-speed auto can be found in many cars. The other stuff ancient history, and the competition has since caught up.

BMW probably does still make the best engines, and they are still (thank God) primarily rear-wheel drive, but I don't think that they are out-classing their competition the way that they used to. They have a lot more competition than they used to. They used to be the no-brainer choice for sporty yet practical cars, but the new 3 and 5 series are getting hammered, in the reviews.

I don't know... They are now huge, heavy barges, with huge seats that allow one to slide-around. I guess they are designed for fat Americans.

I was (still am, I guess) considering getting a nice CPO E90, but am thinking "probably not" because the seats suck, unless they are the M-sport seats.

That, and the rarity of rear-drive (as oppsed to AWD) cars, which is another thing that pisses me off, but is another story.

If they would build me a brand-new E46, I would buy it today. I think their new cars are not as good.

Reply to
dizzy

This is true, but I don't see this as a bad thing in any way. The competition is getting better, but that means everyone has more choice.

I agree that the 3 and 5 series are huge and bloated these days, though, but that seems to be what the market really wants. It's hard to do huge and bloated and sporty at the same time although I have to give BMW credit for doing better than most with the X-series.

Have you actually been to Bavaria? They make Americans seem skinny and sober.

They are certainly not as interesting. But there's very little market today for a brand-new E46, and that market is well-supplied by restoration folks. Call the Werkshop and they will sell you an almost-new E46 for less than an E90.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey