Re: Alternative Boot Floor Part Number

Hi

> > At last, I've found the part number for the E90 alternative boot / trunk > floor to store a space saver / emergency wheel, it is =A0 =A051472146914. > > So that number can be entered intowww.realoem.comand there it is. The ite= m > BMW UK allowed me to order, BMW Germany declined, and the dealer held on = to > our money for as long as they could before refunding. >

Thanks. If BMW UK won't order that part, I'm sure its not avaiable thru BMW USA. However, maybe an importer like Maximillian Import or Dinan, who order directly from Germany, might be able to get it.

Reply to
bfd

BMW UK did indeed allow the order, but BMW Germany said no, you can't have one. Funny that BMW UK claim to be part of BMW AG....

Best regards

David

David Skelton

Thanks for the info. What I find interesting is that BMW actually planned for a spare tire in the E90/92 in some markets. Obviously, its hoping that everybody buys into the run-flat tire craze and forget about a spare. Reminds me of the late 80s when BMW was one of 2 or 3 companies pushing TRX wheels and tires. Everyone I know who had a 5 or

6 series with those wheels ended up trashing them and buying regular wheels. Nobody wanted to spend $400+ for a tire that is basically obsolete and now only made by one company is very small batches. Hopefully, the run-flat craze will be more popular....
Reply to
bfd

Yes, it seems that they acknowledge that in some markets, one might need a spare, seeing that those pesky Self Supporting 'run-flats' can only survive up to 90 miles at a maximum speed of 50 mph, depending upon load in the car. I think a spare is essential, especially when travelling somewhere unfamiliar. A problem will most likely happen at the most inopportune time, like a Saturday evening miles from anywhere. Then you have to hope a tyre dealer has the size you need. I had trouble replacing a cut Bridgestone Potenza RE 050 A * II 255/40/17 Y.

I hope not, I hate them. I do not think that they give a good ride nor feel. They are noisier, heavier and 'tram-line' more, mostly unrepairable and expensive, and environmentally worse than standard tyres. They take more energy to accelerate and brake due to their increased weight. They use more oil to be manufactured, and if so often unrepairable after a puncture, a shorter life too.

Five BMW sales managers have told me that 'run-flats' have saved them from a serious crash by not blowing out following a deflation. I wonder. No-one else has told me that they have had a blow-out. I'm sure some have though, but considering the number of miles travelled by so many millions of drivers around the world, is it so prevalent ?

best regards

David.

David Skelton

Last weekend, I was on rt. 95 driving about 75 mph on the righthand lane, when a guy passed me on the left. Driving on a doughnut spare.

Pretty much every major tire failure I have had was something that resulted in major sidewall damage. Driving over the piece of steel rebar sticking six inches out of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. Driving over a pothole in Atlanta that was "fixed" by putting a piece of 1" sheet steel on top. And once a really dramatic failure due to dry rot.

None of the actual tire failures I have had would have been dealt with by the run-flats.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

It is surprising how stupid some humans are....

David Skelton