Radiator part number

Howdy all,

I bought a radiator online for my 1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer(Olympic), part number 78. When I received it, it looks similar, but is not the same. The issue is, the one currently installed has a 90 degree elbow with a radiator cap.

The one purchased does not have this.

My question, what is the radiator part number for one that would work.

VIN: 1JTML65POJT119182

Thanks in advance!!

Jim

Reply to
cowboy67

I have the same ride and I can tell you for sure that someone has replaced the radiator - the original was a closed system and the fill cap was on the pressure bottle on the firewall. I will be happily making that same mod if the original radiator in mine will ever give up and die - but it just keeps chugging as it nudges 200k miles.

Best bet would be to look at a 91+ XJ part, but I'm no expert on this one since I haven't had to do it yet. Quick and easy way would be a trip to the bone yard with a camera and a tape measure looking for a 91+ XJ with the radiator still in it for comparison.

You might also try an old-fashioned radiator shop - they used to carry the replacement tops for repairing radiators back before everything became a throw-away.

As it stands, what you have won't work w/o reversing the mods someone made - not a good plan.

Reply to
Will Honea

Jim, I agree with Will

I have 2 late 91 XJs. They have the filler.

I put the same rad in my 87 XJ with a closed system and never regretted it. Much easier to fill, burp and flush than the closed system.

Someone has obviously converted your 88 to a better rad. Did this person convert to an open system and get rid of all the closed system hardware?

I suggest you return the rad and get the rad with a filler tube. You won't regret it.

Merrill

Reply to
merrill