Timing chain slipped

Hi All, I have a 318ci year 2002 with 45000 mile up.I have just got a repair bill for 5500.00 euro to fix the engine . The problem has being caused by the
timing chain which skipped a number of places.OR SO I HAVE BEING TOLD Has anyone else suffered this problem ?
sounds like a warranty claim to me... 3 years old, 45k on the clock?
snipped-for-privacy@EIRCOM-dot-NET.no-spam.invalid (BKING) wrote:

For a chain to slip (jump teeth) it would have to be SO slack that there must be another more serious problem somewhere - Like a faulty chain, adjuster (if any) not done up by BMW (unlikely) etc etc...
Wot he said - Warranty ?
Nick

i dont know that engine but i thought that BMW put belts in all the newer *vanilla* engines.. ie not the S series..

Don't know where you've been, but BMW went back to chains starting in '90 with the M50, and no current engine since then has had a belt - that includes all V8's, I6's, I4's (not sure about diesels, but I'd be surprised if they were belts.)
Floyd

ive clearly not been stripping down BMW heads.. :) I stand corrected, thanks Floyd.
keith

The I6 diesels never had -fortunately- a timing belt.
I never heard of a slipping timing chain. So the OP was given a a kick or a run or smething like this.... Easy earned money, I guess....
Jrgen

It can happen, but the chain would have been *very* noisy for some time before this.
--
*The older you get, the better you realize you were.

(not sure about

The 324 TD and 524 TD diesels from late 80`had timing belts since then all Diesels (4 and 6 cyl) have chains - fortunately
1 year warranty in Europe (well 2 in the UK).