oil service light

I just got a 85 325 e a little but ago and the inspection light was on but today it turned off and the oil service light came on. I checked my manual but it only tells how to install and take it out it doesn?t give me a reason why it turns on. i am running 10w-40 (its what the book recomended) and this oil doesn?t have more then 300 miles on it. Any one have any idea ???

Reply to
bobbob1015

This is supposed to be based on time and engine load, but in an '85 the battery's in the cluster are likely shot and it's just being erratic. They are nicad batteries soldered to the rear of the cluster.

Reply to
JimV

Oil level low ?

Nick

Reply to
nick smith

checked it i think its the batterys thanks guys

Reply to
bobbob1015

The Service Interval and the Oil Service indicators come on as a result of a timer - for lack of a better term. When the service is performed, the timer is reset by the technician. If the timer is not reset, then the car won't know the service was done and the light will come on at its scheduled interval even if the service was recently done.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

Jeff Strickland

checked

doesn't

Reply to
cheska

Where is this cluster? I have an 86 325 es and my oil light is always on I was going to change the sender.

Reply to
cheska