Tire recommendation for Softer Ride

2002 325i with sport package. Any tire recommendations to give a smoother ride? I dont care about performance driving, I'm an old fogey. I currently
have 225 45 ZR 17 will need new tires soon. Thanks..

I've never owned a "sport package" equipped car, but have driven them occasionally as service loaners. Never really cared for the ride either - but the handling was much improved.
My thinking is that at least part of the "ride" issue is related to the skinny profile of the tires on the larger wheels. Not as much tire sidewall to absorb bumps associated with uneven road surfaces.
Not sure how it would affect the rest of the package, but a smaller wheel with a bit more chubby tire might achieve what you're looking for.
ds Another old geezer
Have a look at tirerack.com, then call them and explain your predicament. Very friendly and helpful people.
They will ship the tires to you and they have recommended installers.
If you decide to get tires and wheels, they will also mount them and balance them for free.

Randy wrote:

What tires are on the car now (Brand, model)?
Different brands and different models give different rides.. need more info.

I'd go with the "higher profile, smaller wheel" suggestion... different tyre models of the same dimensions would not IMHO alter the ride sufficiently. Tyre wall height is a major factor in providing a smooth ride. seems like you might have to ditch those 17" rimms. though.
keith
Randy wrote:

What part of which country are you in? I'm sure there are people who might be willing to help out by buying your 17" wheels or swapping them for some 16" wheels. (Depending on location, condition, and price I might even be one of them.)
JRE
I live near Fresno, California

I have "Bridgestone Turanza ER30 225 45 ZR 17 91W"

You're in California and think the Sport Package is too stiff? Wow. You should try driving in the east, where roads were last paved during the depression.
Tires on your wheels won't cut it. Sell the wheels (very easy to do - the sport package wheels are in demand, you'll easily get $200 each) and buy some stock BMW 16" wheels. Then get decent tires in the stock size (205/55 R 16). I'd recommend the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S - these are an excellent all-around tire, and one of the best available for central Californian conditions (mostly dry, but they have extremely good rain traction). They're also all-season rated if you hit any snow - not good enough if you go skiing regularly, but fine at least up to Highway 49.
WOW, I didn't think I could get $200 per wheel. Thanks for your Input. I think I'll take your advice and search for the 16" wheels, then put the 17" up for sale in the paper or maybe E-Bay..Thanks again..Randy

Randy wrote:

If they are in really good condition you might be able to do much better than $200 per wheel. They cost several hundred dollars each new from BMW. Call or visit a dealer, price new ones, and make a decision about what to ask.
JRE
Randy wrote:

You'll only get $200 each if they are in pristine shape and they are fitted with fresh (or at least decent) rubber.
--
-Fred W

sunderland wrote:

Not so! They're paved every year, about a square foot at a time...
JRE
JRE wrote:

Yes, and unfortunately, those one foot segments are not contiguous.
--
-Fred W

Be careful with that wide paint brush you've got there. Here in San Diego the budget doesn't permit pothole repair. The city is near bankruptcy, and the money spent on illegal immigration with its associated crime is straining every city in the southern part of the state.
Recently a biker sued and won his case against the city for his pothole-related accident. Interesting how they've got deep pockets for lawsuits but can't find the funds to keep our roads safe.
sunderland wrote:

Actually, the Pilot Sports (even the AS) are still pretty high performance tires (Y rated) and likely to be stiffer than, say the Michelin MXV4 Plus (H Rated) in the same size.
--
-Fred W

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 20:02:34 -0500, Malt_Hound <""Malt_Hound\"@*spam-me not*yahoo.com"> wrote:>sunderland wrote:

Had the Mich' 245/55 R 16 lasted 50K just put on a set of Pirelli 6000 - absolutly fantastic for grip and water displacement. Good for 180+ if you can find somewhere to push over 155 and all for $700US (440gbp)
Sir Hugh of Bognor
--

Remember. You may honestly belive that you understood everything
you thought I said but what you thought you heard wasn't