Wanted: Cheap maintenance for BMW

OK, I know that's an oxymoron, but we're in Crawley, West Sussex and are finding it very pricey to get our local dealer to maintain or S-reg

5-series. I mean, £86 to replace a lightbulb? It sounds like one of those "How many .... " jokes, doesn't it?

Does anyone know of a good car mechanic in the West Sussex area (or even Surrey, we're not proud) who will service and maintain BMWs? I mean, it's an S-reg car, we want to spend S-reg money on it.

TIA

Jo

Reply to
Jo Ling

I assume you're referring to Vines. No way would I take my car there. Try James Paul on the Guildford Road at Bucks Green. Nr Rudgwick. An independant BMW garage. I've never usd them myself, so haven't any first hand experience of them, but they do have a good reputation. Tel 01403 823723 Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Yes, you're right, Vines it is ... how did you guess? (Probably by the large hole in my bank account.)

Thanks for that ... I will definitely follow it up!

Jo Ling

Reply to
Jo Ling

You may also want to see if the iaibmwsp has any recommended shops in your area:

bfd

Sorry, that should read:

bfd

Nope. Crawley, and local dealer. Who else could it be? :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

ACE Automotive at Wisborough Green.

Ive used them and found them to be excellent.

Dont trust James Paul - I purchased a VW Corrado VR6 - They didnt fix a cooling problem, and the engine blew up - was told not their fault!

--

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Jason Russell Dotcom-Computers Ltd t: 01403 784340 f: 01403 786698 e: dotcom AT dotcom-computers.co.uk

The information in this email is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this message any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Dotcom-Computers Ltd cannot accept liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not expressly made on behalf of Dotcom-Computers Ltd.

Dotcom-Computers Ltd does not guarantee that any attachments are free from viruses or other defects and accepts no liability for any losses resulting from infected email transmissions.

Dotcom-Computers Ltd. Registered in England Number 4442820.

1 Forge House, West Street, BILLINGSHURST, RH14 9HW, UK.
Reply to
Dotcom Computers Ltd

[...]

See my site's UK reviews page.

PS: For anyone who added a new one lately I'm sorry for the delay in posting them. I have 80+ new ones but am a bit busy at the moment.

Reply to
John Burns

Thanks. That's definitely worth knowing, and like yourself, I'm in Billingshurst, which makes it even more convenient. ATM I do all the maintenance on my '94 5 series, but I'll certainly give them a try if I feel the need. How well equiped are they as far as diagnostics are concerned? and do they provide courtesy cars?

The display on my car occasionally tells me there is a fault with the self levelling. More annoying than anything else, because the car hasn't got the LAD self levelling system fitted, and never has had it.

Interesting. As I said earlier. I only know them by reputation, which seems to be good, which is more than can be said for Vines in Crawley. Lesser of two evils. :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Must meet up for a beer then!

--

[...]

Yep can do a car, albeit a pug 205! Got all the computer stuff, but are proper mechs - they know what a spanner and hammer can do!

Use original parts, and labour rate is 45/hour

Dale lives in Billy as well!

--

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Jason Russell Dotcom-Computers Ltd t: 01403 784340 f: 01403 786698 e: dotcom AT dotcom-computers.co.uk

The information in this email is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this message any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Dotcom-Computers Ltd cannot accept liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not expressly made on behalf of Dotcom-Computers Ltd.

Dotcom-Computers Ltd does not guarantee that any attachments are free from viruses or other defects and accepts no liability for any losses resulting from infected email transmissions.

Dotcom-Computers Ltd. Registered in England Number 4442820.

1 Platts Meadow, BILLINGSHURST, RH14 9HX, UK.
Reply to
Dotcom Computers Ltd

Where on earth was this lightbulb! I'm still in shock that people pay someone else to change them!

Maybe I've missed a business opportunity here!

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

My E39 front turn signal bulb carrier is, for all practical purposes, inaccessible - at least by me or my wife's smaller hands. I don't know how the dealer does it, but he does. Anyone know how?

Reply to
Dean Dark

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 17:38:23 -0500, Dean Dark waffled on about something:

Oh what fun...

So does anyone know where you'd stand in Germany where as far as I know, it's still a legal requirement to carry a spare set of bulbs...

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

UPDATE

Vines had been looking at a fault with our car (the heater fan wasn't working), and with their expensive (to us!) diagnostics, they decided that the resistor needed replacing. This they did - twice - at great expense (again, to us), only to find it didn't fix the problem. Then they decided the car would need a new fan motor, which involves not only the cost of the motor plus ripping out the dashboard to access and replace the old one.

We took the car to James Paul today ... the chap there fixed it within half an hour. The fan had simply got stuck, and it was a simple job to reach in and free it. He also replaced the pollen filters, because they were gunked up. Total cost: £45. That's more like it!

Thanks everyone for your advice!

Jo

Reply to
Jo Ling