Wanted: Cheap maintenance for BMW

OK, I know that's an oxymoron, but we're in Crawley, West Sussex and are finding it very pricey to get our local dealer to maintain or S-reg 5-series. I mean, £86 to replace a lightbulb? It sounds like one of those
"How many .... " jokes, doesn't it?
Does anyone know of a good car mechanic in the West Sussex area (or even Surrey, we're not proud) who will service and maintain BMWs? I mean, it's an S-reg car, we want to spend S-reg money on it.
TIA
Jo
Add pictures here
βœ–

I assume you're referring to Vines. No way would I take my car there. Try James Paul on the Guildford Road at Bucks Green. Nr Rudgwick. An independant BMW garage. I've never usd them myself, so haven't any first hand experience of them, but they do have a good reputation. Tel 01403 823723 Mike.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yes, you're right, Vines it is ... how did you guess? (Probably by the large hole in my bank account.)
Thanks for that ... I will definitely follow it up!
Jo Ling
Add pictures here
βœ–
You may also want to see if the iaibmwsp has any recommended shops in your area:
www.iaibmwsp.org
Add pictures here
βœ–
Sorry, that should read:
http://www.iaibmwsp.org/MemberShops.htm#gb
Add pictures here
βœ–

Nope. Crawley, and local dealer. Who else could it be? :-) Mike.
Add pictures here
βœ–
In typed:

ACE Automotive at Wisborough Green.
Ive used them and found them to be excellent.
Dont trust James Paul - I purchased a VW Corrado VR6 - They didnt fix a cooling problem, and the engine blew up - was told not their fault!
Jason Russell
βœ–
typed:

Thanks. That's definitely worth knowing, and like yourself, I'm in Billingshurst, which makes it even more convenient. ATM I do all the maintenance on my '94 5 series, but I'll certainly give them a try if I feel the need. How well equiped are they as far as diagnostics are concerned? and do they provide courtesy cars?
The display on my car occasionally tells me there is a fault with the self levelling. More annoying than anything else, because the car hasn't got the LAD self levelling system fitted, and never has had it.

Interesting. As I said earlier. I only know them by reputation, which seems to be good, which is more than can be said for Vines in Crawley. Lesser of two evils. :-) Mike.
Add pictures here
βœ–
In typed:

Must meet up for a beer then!
Jason Russell
βœ–

Yep can do a car, albeit a pug 205! Got all the computer stuff, but are proper mechs - they know what a spanner and hammer can do!
Use original parts, and labour rate is 45/hour
Dale lives in Billy as well!
Jason Russell
βœ–
In typed:

ACE Automotive at Wisborough Green.
Ive used them and found them to be excellent.
Dont trust James Paul - I purchased a VW Corrado VR6 - They didnt fix a cooling problem, and the engine blew up - was told not their fault!
Jason Russell
βœ–

See my site's UK reviews page.
PS: For anyone who added a new one lately I'm sorry for the delay in posting them. I have 80+ new ones but am a bit busy at the moment.
βœ–

Where on earth was this lightbulb! I'm still in shock that people pay someone else to change them!
Maybe I've missed a business opportunity here!
Dodgy.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 19:25:32 +0000, Dodgy

My E39 front turn signal bulb carrier is, for all practical purposes, inaccessible - at least by me or my wife's smaller hands. I don't know how the dealer does it, but he does. Anyone know how?
--
Dan.

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 17:38:23 -0500, Dean Dark

Oh what fun...
So does anyone know where you'd stand in Germany where as far as I know, it's still a legal requirement to carry a spare set of bulbs...
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

Add pictures here
βœ–
UPDATE
Vines had been looking at a fault with our car (the heater fan wasn't working), and with their expensive (to us!) diagnostics, they decided that the resistor needed replacing. This they did - twice - at great expense (again, to us), only to find it didn't fix the problem. Then they decided the car would need a new fan motor, which involves not only the cost of the motor plus ripping out the dashboard to access and replace the old one.
We took the car to James Paul today ... the chap there fixed it within half an hour. The fan had simply got stuck, and it was a simple job to reach in and free it. He also replaced the pollen filters, because they were gunked up. Total cost: £45. That's more like it!
Thanks everyone for your advice!
Jo

Add pictures here
βœ–