HELP: Signal Light Works Intermittently

I have a 96 Automatic and the driver sider rear signal light act up every once in awhile. I have changed the bulb a few times and it still does it. Right now the bulb doesn't seem to be blown but the signal does not work for
a while then when I go over some bumps in the road, the signal starts working. Sometimes when I start the car fresh, the signal does not work and if I go to the back of the car and bang my palm on th elight casing the signal starts working. If I attempt to take the whole light housing out to check the bulb, the movement will cause the light to start working. then when I put everything back together again, it might stop working. What the hell is going on? Someone told me that it could be the flasher. Can this be true? Where exactly is the flasher located and is it easy to change it by myself?
Hope someone can help me out here. I would really appreciate any response.
Thank you all Winston
[...]
Get a new blub and spray a little WD-40 in the scocket before slinding in the new blub. Someone its a little corrusion in there.

Camaro. Finally I bought a new socket and the problem was no more. http://cpcug.org/user/jlacombe/tom.html
First I'd try cleaning the socket inside walls and the connectors with some 600 grade sandpaper. I'm pretty sure this is a plastic housing and that means there is a grounding wire going from the sockets to a screw to the body. As trunks get wet there is often corrosion at these connections. Sometimes the springs in the base of the socket bind , get weak or break so you have a bad connection to the light contact. I never tried WD40 for this purpose but I've had great results with the bulb grease you can get from any auto parts store, to keep everything working after you fix it.

Actually the turn signal is supposed to be intermittent... Oh! Ow! damn... sorry.
It's unlikely to be the flasher if whacking the rear light makes it work, as the flasher is no where near it. I'd look for corrosion in the socket and maybe replace the socket. Since your light stops and starts pulling the housing, it could be the wiring close to the socket. I'd pull the housing, pull the socket, put a meter on it, and take a good look at the wiring while moving the socket/wiring around. Replacing the socket you could cut and splice far enough back from the socket to maybe take out the bad wire.
Don't know where the flasher is but if you turn on the turn signal, whack the light enough to make it flash, you can find the flasher by the ticking sound it makes.

~~~~~~ Bait for spammers: root@localhost postmaster@localhost admin@localhost abuse@localhost postmaster@[127.0.0.1] snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov ~~~~~~ Remove "spamless" to email me.
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 05:15:49 GMT, kurt snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Overlord) puked:

Not to mention, I doubt it's the flasher if only the driver side is giving him trouble. Sounds like the socket or maybe the wires leading to it...
-- lab~rat >:-) The less you care, the more it doesn't matter.
lab~rat wrote:

There was a recall, can't remember is it was 95 or 96, for defective sockets. Take the car's VIN to your local Pontiac dealer and ask if they can check for a recall notice. I believe if its on the recall list, and the recall work not done, the deal does the work reguardless if your the original owner or the 10th.
Also, try another brand of blub (pick up a few while at the Pontiac dealership) and replace them again. This time, use some WD40 to knock out any corrosion in the socket.
Had trouble with my 95 and replaced the blubs, solved the problem.
Post back if when you get the fix that works.
Take care.
Remove that rear housing and give a tug to the wires there. I'll bet you'll find the ground is loose. 4th gen firebirds are notorious for bad tailight sockets.
--
David V.Nelson