Re: fuel gauge

if it is pegged out you could have a full tank of gas. if it is on empty you could be about out of gas.
hehe
<G> Jamie
Mine did this for awhilebut only when I went on long trips(2-3 hours) the
gauge never moved. then one time I ran out of gas, now I just watch my mileage, (about 250 miles to a tank)

Grounded out wire somewhere. Follow the wire form the gauge to the firewall. Most likely it has rubbed against it there enough to have worm the insulation out and now its touching the metal causing a ground. So the gauge detects the tank being "full" since the resistance is maxed out.
Brian

Short to peg gage sounds correct if sending unit or the gauge itself isn't the problem. If you unplug the wire from the sending unit and it is still pegged and you unplug the wire from the gauge and it goes to empty then the wire is shorted. If your gage stays pegged with the tank's sender wire removed from the gauge, you have a proublem with the gauge. If taking the wire off the tank's sending unit drops the reading to empty, you have a shorted sending unit and need to replace that. Good Luck