Re: help! won't start right

Thanks for the pointers el lobo. I will try to work on the choke to see if I can make it better. That seems logical since it is mostly a problem when it is cold. I am still confused though, because it used to start right up and I haven't changed anything.

A few of things come to mind: > 1.too much fuel/not enough air = a very rich condition causing your black > plugs and smoke. > 2. Jetted properly? Someone may have altered or replaced them. > 3. Air cleaner clean and not too small to breath? > 4.Choke not adjusted properly. Should be part way open on cold start, then > fully open when up to operating temp. > 5. Once you get it running right, I would put some carbon cleaner in the > tank and through the carb to clean the upper chambers of the carbon build > up. > Good luck and let us know the final results. > el lobo > > I have a 350ci w/ 600cfm edelbrock carb. All of the sudden it won't start > > until I try several times. One day, after about 5 tries, I pulled the air > > cleaner and found it filled with white smoke. It eventually started. When > it > > does start, it blows out a cloud of black smoke, in fact it always has. > The > > plugs are fresh and have heavy black deposits on them that can be chipped > > away. I have the idle mixture adjusted to achieve highest rpm. I believe > it > > may be related to the ignition. It only takes 3 or 4 weeks for a brand new > > dist cap to get heavy corrosion on the contacts and it seems to be > > concentrated to one side of them. It cant be the points because I have a > > Crane electronic module. I bought a cheap timing light at Harbor Freight > and > > at idle it says I am running 30 degrees of lead, and more than 60 at > higher > > rpm. Is that even possible? Could the damper's outer ring have slipped? I > > don't know if the light is just crap or if something else is amiss. Sorry > > for the lengthy post, and any recommendations will help. If this goes on, > I > > will continue to lose to my friends and their Hondas that have B18s, > > whatever that means. > > > > Thanks in advance > > > > > > > > > > > --- > Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. > Checked by AVG anti-virus system
Susan Sterling
30 degrees initial timing with a total of 60? Are you sure you are timing it off of the #1 cylinder? That would be the front plug on the drivers side. 30 degrees initial would certainly make it very difficult to start if at all. I would expect lots of backfiring through the carb. - Gary
Reply to
Gary - KQ6RT

If it has an electric choke, make sure the connection is good and is getting power. If it is spring operated, check the linkage for binding or see if something has come loose from the heat riser spring.

Reply to
el lobo

Reply to
Susan Sterling

What kind of car is this? Did it originally come with a carb, or was it fuel injected (even TBI)? Black smoke is almost always a sign of a rich air fuel mixture.

Make sure the smoke from the tail pipe is black and not blue. A blue smoke could be a sign of something a little more serious.

Reply to
raefon

Does this car have an EGR valve?

Reply to
Xnickels

What is this, 20 Questions? A pop quiz? All you mental people should go to the BMW group (lots of clueless Euros)

Reply to
F Fletch