Re: help! won't start right

Thanks for the pointers el lobo. I will try to work on the choke to see if I can make it better. That seems logical since it is mostly a problem when it
is cold. I am still confused though, because it used to start right up and I haven't changed anything.

30 degrees initial timing with a total of 60? Are you sure you are timing it off of the #1 cylinder? That would be the front plug on the drivers side. 30 degrees initial would certainly make it very difficult to start if at all. I would expect lots of backfiring through the carb. - Gary

Yes, I am checking the timing from the # 1. I am convinced the problem is with the ignition since it is most certainly getting air (same problem with air cleaner off, throttle opening just fine) and I can see the discharge nozzles shoot fuel when I hit the throttle (so it is obviously getting fuel to the float bowls). I also have not made any adjustments to the carb recently. I have also had it stop running after it was fully warmed. As for the timing, the damper must be incorrect or something else is way off. I checked the timing several months ago and just left it where it was at. Bringing it even to 20 degrees at idle caused a noticible reduction in idle quality. I may try a new cap and rotor, but like the others it will probaly only last a month. Any ideas why my cap's terminals get corroded so quickly? It doesn't burn oil and there are no other signs of internal engine malfunction. I put roller rockers on about 3 months ago and it ran great so I doubt it has anything to do with valve timing. Maybe I'll just cut a hole in the hood and drop 22k on a new ram jet ZL1. That should solve the problem.

If it has an electric choke, make sure the connection is good and is getting power. If it is spring operated, check the linkage for binding or see if something has come loose from the heat riser spring.
With the engine cold and not started, activate the throttle and see what the choke flap does. It should close, but not all the way. Then start it (if you can) and watch what it does as it warms up. It should open part way and then when you give it some throttle it should open up all the way when the engine has warmed up. Good Luck! Fun ain't it ;) el lobo

What kind of car is this? Did it originally come with a carb, or was it fuel injected (even TBI)? Black smoke is almost always a sign of a rich air fuel mixture.
Make sure the smoke from the tail pipe is black and not blue. A blue smoke could be a sign of something a little more serious.
On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 14:27:33 GMT, "Susan Sterling"

Does this car have an EGR valve?

What is this, 20 Questions? A pop quiz? All you mental people should go to the BMW group (lots of clueless Euros)