Which, if any, Stock Jap Cars Can Beat ANY Camaro?

Page 1 of 2
I've heard that there are some stock Japanese cars that can beat a stock Camaro (including the Z28 and SS.) Does anyone know which ones these are? Cause I pretty much thought that any model Camaro could beat any
make/model of Japanese car- including the so-called "high performance," "modified" ones- aka: the "riceburner."
Long Live the Camaro!
I just sold a 1994 Z-28 LT1 with Moroso cold-air and oversized cat-back and shift kit in the tranny....... I raced a WRX suburu which has every bit of my respect. It was very close with my Camaro winning by maybe a half car or car length. Through 1st gear I had the WRX by a fender but my car bangs 2nd gear "very hard" and jumped him by a door or so...... by 3rd I had him maybe at my taillights or rear quarter (I was busy watching the road) but I know when I let off I had a split second to look over beside me before he caught me, I tried giving him a thumbs up but he wanted no parts of and continued top speed down the road and out of sight....... poor sport?....LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
~John

My neighbor has a 83 Camaro with a 2.5 four cylinder auto , but you probably didnt know they built such a thing , huh, real powerhouse, I can beat it with my diesel Nissan Sentra. Get it moron
You're a hostile little bastard aren't you, zonie? If I give you a sticker for your riceburner, will that make you feel better?
Long Live the Camaro!
98' Camaro wrote:

Hmmmm, you didn't specify 0-60 or 1/4, so.....just to name a few:
Acura NSX Subaru WRX STI Subaru SVX Turbo (I believe) Nissan 350Z (Infiniti) Toyota Supra Turbo Mitsubishi Evo
Well....hell....here's a good link.
http://www.car-videos.com/performance/speed.asp?Speed1=0&Speed2 `
GLK9MM wrote:

Btw, I post this so you don't embarrass yourself or us.
--
Martin
'01 Formula - MTI Air Box Lid, K&N Filter, Hurst-6,
Junqueboi wrote:

The Fiero GT w/Turbo is very nice setup actually. I've even seen some after market V8s stuffed into them. (craziness) I just never liked working on the Fiero because there's no room in the bay. Of course, compared to the 4th Gen. Firebird.....it's got buckets of space.
GLK9MM wrote:

really hard time buying that the 96 v6 Camaro can outdo a 92 Z-28. I know they can't compete with the 4th gen Z-28's but I'm pretty sure they do 0-60 faster than a 4th gen v-6.
--
Cy Welch
Senior Programmer
Cy Welch wrote:

Power to weight ratio man.
GLK9MM wrote:

chassis. And acceleration is torque not HP. Also that IIRC from the list the 95 v6 is slower than the 92 Z but the 96 is faster? I think somebody got some numbers wrong.
--
Cy Welch
Senior Programmer

Here is a gem of wisdom:)
Al
Big Al wrote:

What the hell are you talking about Al? (And, please, don't take this as a personal attack.)
I simply didn't respond to Cy, 'cause there wasn't a point to it. But if you think this is some great gem of wisdom, your nuts and so is Cy.
I'm well aware of what torque is. Now, how do you get torque?
Forget it...this discussion is stupid. As for the web page, I don't really care. Take the info for what it's worth. I didn't write the damn page, and I'm not going to waste my time defending it or talking about an hp/torque curve.
GLK9MM wrote:

Well I was going to not say anything further on the issue. But with that stuff I have to. This has been hashed out in the group more than once. Now, you need both HP and torque, but if you take two cars with the same HP but one has more torque the one with more torque will accelerate faster. Torque is how fast that rotational/work rate can change, HP is how fast/much work can be done. Higher HP means nigher speed, higher torque means faster acceleration. Ideal is to have both, but one of the reasons drage racers like big blocks is that they have lots of torque, indy cars have less torque, but lots of HP for high speed. Here is a reference to what HP and torque are and why each is important for different reasons. http://vettenet.org/torquehp.html . I can show lots of other references as well. As a matter of fact, here are some references I found with just a few seconds of searching.
http://www.westechperformance.com/pages/Tech_Library/Understanding/hpvstq.html
http://www.allpar.com/eek/hp-vs-torque.html
http://www.slowgt.com/Tut.htm
The real point here (and what the articles all agree on) is what counts for acceleration is TORQUE applied at the wheels.
--
Cy Welch
Senior Programmer
Cy Welch wrote:

Cy,     My question was rhetorical. I know what torque is. Glad you answered it, but it was meant to make readers think more than respond.
Cy Welch wrote:

Cy,     My question was rhetorical. I know what torque is. Glad you answered it, but it was meant to make readers think more than respond.
    And here I said I was going to leave it alone, and I didn't. GAH! More to the point, F:lb (Power:wieght) is more involved than simply saying torque, and you know that. Your answer was not germane to my original response.
    Take a look at a car like the Ford T-Bird from '96, you'll see some interesting numbers like 200hp 283lb/ft. Or my bike for instance (or any bike for that matter.) BOTH have to be figured into power to weight. The ratio is more than just hp.
GLK9MM wrote:

That was actually my point. The two cars on the list that I didn't feel made sense were because I'm pretty sure the weight and all are pretty much the same, and I KNOW that the hp and torque are higher on the 92 Z then on the 96 v6. Frankly, the 96 v6 Camaro should have been in the same area as the 95, not way up the list with cars that from everything else I have seen should be faster cars then it. The point being (as I am sure you know) that if everything else is equal the car that can put greater torque to the rear wheels will do better at 0-60.
On the bike thing I can certainly agree. When I had my little Yamaha 400 on the road several years ago, in a short burst I could beat pretty much anything on 4 wheels (as can most respectable bikes).
--
Cy Welch
Senior Programmer

And, I get blasted for my comment:) Torque is a measure of force, horsepower is a measure of work.
Here is another gem:
"Now, you need both HP and torque, but if you take two cars with the same HP but one has more torque the one with more torque will accelerate faster."
If you have the same HP at the same RPM, guess what? You have the same torque. But if my engine can make more horsepower than yours, I don't give a crap how much torque yours has, if mine is geared correctly and weighs the same, I'm going to beat you.
According to some, if you stuff a 600 CTD in a car it will beat anything. Yep, 600 pounds of torque at 1,800 RPM. What could possibly beat that?
Al
Big Al wrote:

Yup. Agreed assuming your curb weight is the same, etc.

<chuckle> Good one.