$12 Plugs?

*plonk*

To the group: Sorry for wasting your bandwidth.

Reply to
scrape

The point I was trying to make to the thick skulled cretin was that for the repairs/maintenance I do myself, I can't justify one. If it's a job that requires one, I'll pay the guy that has one to do it. It's when Mr. Nelson thinks that everyone needs to $250 to get a set of plugs swapped out that it becomes obvious there's a Kenyan in the fuel supply.

Absolutely. It's a time vs. money thing discounting the fun/satisfaction parts.

Last time I had to change an injector on a friends 200x Dakota, the Haynes manual had a flowchart that pinpointed it pretty accurately using a multimeter. One trip to AutoZone fixed that problem. If I had a vehicle that required a ScanTool to bleed the brakes, I'd get another vehicle.

He said that everyone needs to pay a "professional" to do anything vehicle related and that no one other than himself or what he considered an equivalent is remotely qualified. And the Doctor scenario doesn't always play out. I know more than one that enjoy working on their vehicles as hobbies. I'm sure the pinhead can't see the validity in that, but it's the way it is. His profession is certainly a worthwhile one, but not needed for every instance any more than the doctor is needed to apply a band-aid to a paper cut. On the other hand, my employer is perfectly willing to pay what I'd consider a huge sum of money to get headers installed, brakes done, etc. for the reason you mention. That's how he chooses to spend his time/money.

Reply to
scrape

Which is why you posed the brake bleeding/injector statement as a question. IOWs, you don't know what you don't know. Why should anyone listen to someone as poorly educated as yourself?

Where did I state $250.00 for a plug swap? Post proof or look the desperate liar that you are.

Yes, the actions of 6 billion people should center around what YOU would do.

Kenya, third world country, where cars and trucks are propped up on the street with logs stood on end and the work is done by DIYers. seems that YOU fit that description better than I.

Most of which was never mentioned by the original poster. Pity that you'd take my comments to him as a personal attack on yourself.

So things went your way that one time. BFD. Please explain how a multimeter will help diagnose a plugged injector or a leaking injector. Neither of those two common types of failures exhibit any electrical characteristics that could be measured by a multimeter. Again, you don't know what you don't know.

So, you lie again. What happened to not having a problem taking something to a dealer when you don't have the necessary tools to do the job? You have zero credibility. The real issue for you appears to be that you don't think anyone else's time is worth anything, you don't think that the thousands of dollars that they have invested in tools and equipment is worth anything. You think that anyone who chooses to have their vehicle repaired by a professional shop must have been forced into it or are just plain crazy because YOU can manage to accomplish some minor tasks on your own with you handy dandy little $99 Sears tool kit.

Post proof that I said that, or, look the liar that you are.

"The way it is," is you have a severe reading comprehension problem.

But apparently you need someone to show you the difference between a band-aid and a pile of horse manure.

Yes, he's employer who can spend "huge sums of money" and you're the employee. Your life is going to suck.

What's his alternative, having -you- do those jobs?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

"scrape" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I killfiled this wailing, pig ignorant "nonelson" after reading his input on this thread. I enjoy this newsgroup, but all of them have a s*****ad like that who wants to talk down to anyone who posts. I'm a retired airline avionics technician, and bought a '99 Olds Aurora several years ago. Tried to do my homework on the car and studied it's systems after I bought it. The UART communication bus between all the various vehicle computers is similar to what's in a Boeing or an Airbus, just not near as high speed and doesn't carry as much information. So, I rolled the price of a good OTC Genisys scanner into the price of the car. It was a good investment, and to anyone out there who feels overwhelmed by the new automotive technology, and has any kind of technical background, don't be afraid to learn something new. That scanner has saved me enough money to pay for itself. The test routines it initiates with the cars various computers are very helpful. Some things just can't be correctly done at home, (wheel alignment, etc.), but cars nowadays have very good diagnostics, and with the right scanner and a good manual, you can usually sort out the problem and save yourself some money. The local GM dealer where I live has some very good techs. in their service dept, and I have had a good relationship with them. I don't begrudge them making a living, and they've gotten big bucks from me on a transmission repair I had done a while back. I still work part time, and didn't want to fool with it. But I enjoy fixing my cars myself, and will continue to if possible. This newsgroup is much more of a pleasure to read if you killfile any wailing, pig-ignorant shitheads. (And UART stands for "Universal Asynchronous Receiver Transmitter". Simple digital data bus, like that USB port on your laptop. Took me a while to find that abbreviation decoded in the manuals.)

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

Honestly, he's the first moron I've had to killfile in years. I'm sure he's decent at what he does, but too f'ing full of himself to realize that it doesn't take a degree and years of training to do your brakes, etc.

Not needed.

I've looked into code readers and the like, but for the very sporadic times I need one, it's just not worth it currently. Same with the scantool. For what I'm willing to do myself on my vehicles, I can't justify it. The last electrical problem I had took the dealer close to a week to troubleshoot. I knew I was in over my head on that one and their tools couldn't pinpoint it. Fortunately, I knew several folks at the dealership and didn't have to walk too funny when it was all said and done.

As far as this group and all of Usenet, they've all got the morons that think they're invisible behind their PC in Milwaukee and have little, if any idea of anything beyond their own little domain. Not worth the heartbeats.

Reply to
scrape

I don't disagree at all. A good scanner is not cheap. I'd had one since a '92 Cutlass I bought new, and just upgraded to a much better one with the Aurora. Anyhow, electrical type stuff was what I did on a flight line for

40 yrs., and I still like to fool with it. And if it saves me a few bucks, I'm happy.

Garrett

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

Imagine that. You do it because you enjoy it. To hear it told elsewhere, that's not a valid reason for working on your own vehicle. It's IMPARITIVE that you pay someone retail rates to change your wiper blades.

Like most of the folks here, I'd guess, I work on stuff becuase I like to. I do 100% of the work on all my motorcycles, anything I can on the trucks, whatever's economically reasonable around the house, all the small engine stuff, etc.

If there were enough folks nearby that had late model GM products (or whatever), that were prone to electrical problems, a Scanner might make sense.

Reply to
scrape

Yeah. We're of a like mind on this. Too bad we can't have a beer together and sort out the_rest_of the world's problems. Ha.

Garrett

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

I am a licensed beer consumer. In fact, I've taught the class (for free).

Reply to
scrape

Can't have me pointing out your numerous lies, can you.

Too bad your killfile me isn't going to make you any more honest.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I've been working in East Germany, Leipzig airport, part time for a yr. now. When I come home, it's all I can do to try and drink an American beer. Don't mean to sound like a snob, but I have seen the light. Those people have flat got beer, sausage and kraut completely figured out. Nobody does beer like them. Had my license, (ha), for quite a few years now.

Garrett

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

To take this 180 degrees out of phase with the original topic, you might just be shopping on the wrong aisle of your grocery store. There are a ton of great beers in the US now, just not the ones from Milwaukee. Colorado and the Pacific northwest as well as micros all around the country are brewing some fantastic beers. Most are more in the British tradition (beefy ales) than German/Czech types (pils/Bock/Marzen lagers), but you're absolutely not confined to BudMillOb Genuine Draft Dry Lite Ice (with lime) by any means.

Reply to
scrape

Oh my god,

Reply to