1999 GMC Sierra 2500 Pickup Problems

I have a couple of problems that I need some help me with. One, is just a part wearing out, but I simply can't locate the offending part. The other, I'm certain, is a dealer induced problem, that I'm not able to trace, and am not willing to pay the dealer to fix something he broke, but can't prove it.

#1: Part going bad: When cold, there's almost always a constant blinker noise, the exact same noise associated with the turn-signals and the emer. flasher blinker. However, all those work fine even with the supplemental blinking. After driving a while, the blinking might stop for a while, or maybe a few seconds. I figure it is the blinker switch, but I simply can't locate it by a familiar name on any of the fuse wiring diagrams. It's definitely in the electrical system because when I touch any of the fuses while it's blinking, the blinking can be felt in any of the board fuses. It's quite annoying, but I'm having trouble sorting out the problem component.

#2: Dealer Induced Odometer / PRND12 digital lights out on the steering column: See no mileage data, and no gear selection data. My son picked up my vehicle after some extended warranty work on the PS and Trans, and he usually drives it for his work. After about a week or so, he finally told me that the odometer, and the gear-lights were mostly out. They'd come back on sometimes, but are mostly off. That's probably true, but when I drive it, the lights are always out. As you'd suspect, the dealer says "I didn't touch that functionality", but we'll fix it for $250 (yeah, right!). I feel certain that a tech (I've had it happen before) either accidentally, or intentionally, caused the problem, and its fix is probably just disconnecting and reconnecting the junction that feeds it powert. Has anyone experienced such a problem, and has had success in restoring power to the odometer/gear light on the steering column?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Jim Hank

The noise could be a relay that is kicking in and out.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge

Have you check the ground to the instrument panel/

sarge

Reply to
Sarge

Also make sure you have a food connection between the battery and the terminal wire. My speed odometer use to go crazy when the washer would corrode bad between the cables. Clean and replace washer and bolt solved the problem.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge

since the dealer did work on trans did you check the plugs on the transmission to make sure they were plugged in and not damaged.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge

Yep, it's surely a relay, but which one. Labeling isn't like times of old, at least on this vehicle. Got bunches of relays that are plainly marked, and some items that don't tell squat about the functions they perform. It used to be almost child's play to spot the blinker relay, but not so on this one. Still, on others, when the relay went to acting up, seems like I recall that the signals and the emergency flasher went out with it, but not so here, because they're all functioning perfectly in the midst of the incessant blinking by whatever relay is about to roll-over and die. I may wind up just pulling them one at a time until it stops!

Reply to
Jim Hank