Chevy S10 - fuel sensor

hey all..

my trucks fuel sensor looks like it is going flaky.

the fuel gauge bounces back between empty, 1/4 full, and half empty and the trip odo is at 200 miles. it normally gets the red light empty alert until well after 250 miles on the trip odo.

is it easy to replace the fuel sensor from the fuel tank?

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

What year?

Reply to
Steve W.

2000
Reply to
dilbert firestorm

Well on the 2000 the level sender is part of the fuel pump module. While it can be changed out separately I have not seen it for sale as a replacement part. The pump module is about 300.00 for a new one. If your truck has never had a replacement pump it may be due for a new one by now. They usually fail without warning. As for difficulty. You run the tank down low, remove the tank (you will need a couple quick disconnect tools to remove the lines). OR if the bed is empty you can remove the bolts out of it and slide it back enough to get to the pump.

Check the wiring harness REAL close. As the pump ages it draws more current and they have been known to melt the connector. Clean the pump retainer ring real well before you try to remove it.

Reply to
Steve W.