Engine Oil life

was reading in the Mobil 1 vs. Valvoline thread. Talking about the frequency of oil changes and oil analysis. I have a new Suburban and the computer tells me how much "oil life" is left. Is this number just a calculated number based on number of miles driven and other factors, or is there some sort of analysis happening. I'm guessing the first, but was just curious. BTW - according to the computer, the Sub can go nearly 10K on an oil change, seems awfully optimistic in my opinion. I prefer to change every 3 - 5 K.

Reply to
M Rothwell

The Change oil light on the Chevys is based on miles, idle time and type of driving. Do yourself a favor and change the oil like you would normally do on any other engine. I do mine at 3000 miles. My light comes on shortly after I change the oil. BTW to get rid of the light turn the ignition switch on and with engine off step on the gas pedal to the floor three times in a row. The light will blink to verify that it has been cancelled.

Reply to
Randd01

This computer is way beyond just a light. It say 99% oil life remaining, 27% oil life remaining, etc..... Does it re-set the same way as my older sub (ie: as described above).

Reply to
M Rothwell

I agree with whats stated in the post before mine. The oil life system is calculated by different variables. However, the vehicle does not monitor the oil conditoin. In other words, the vehilce has no idea if the truck has been driven in dusty conditions, high humidity conditions, oil type actually used, etc anything that can contaminate oil. It can't monitor moisture content from condensation inside the engine. Its in your best interest to change at 3 months or 3k miles anyways.

An Excerpt straight from your Owners Manual:

When to Change Engine Oil (GM Oil Life System) Your vehicle has a computer system that lets you know when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on engine revolutions and engine temperature, and not on mileage. Based on driving conditions, the mileage at which an oil change will be indicated can vary considerably. For the oil life system to work properly, you must reset the system every time the oil is changed.

When the system has calculated that oil life has been diminished, it will indicate that an oil change is necessary. A CHANGE ENGINE OIL message will come on. Change your oil as soon as possible within the next two times you stop for fuel. It is possible that, if you are driving under the best conditions, the oil life system may not indicate that an oil change is necessary for over a year. However, your engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and at this time the system must be reset. Your dealer has GM-trained service people who will perform this work using genuine GM parts and reset the system. It is also important to check your oil regularly and keep it at the proper level.

If the system is ever reset accidentally, you must change your oil at 3,000 miles (5 000 km) since your last oil change. Remember to reset the oil life system whenever the oil is changed.

How to Reset the CHANGE ENGINE OIL Message The GM Oil Life System calculates when to change your engine oil and filter based on vehicle use. Anytime your oil is changed, reset the system so it can calculate when the next oil change is required. If a situation occurs where you change your oil prior to a CHANGE ENGINE OIL message being turned on, reset the system.

To reset the CHANGE ENGINE OIL message, see "GM Oil Life System" under DIC Operation and Displays for vehicles equipped with the DIC, or do the following:

1.. Turn the ignition key to RUN with the engine off. 2.. Fully press and release the accelerator pedal slowly three times within five seconds. If the OIL LIFE RESET message flashes for 10 seconds, the system is resetting. 3.. Turn the key to LOCK. If the CHANGE ENGINE OIL message comes back on when you start your vehicle, the engine oil life system has not reset. Repeat the procedure. If it still does not reset, see your dealer for service.
Reply to
Jay

Screw changing oil up to a year. For one we are not talking about tractor trailers that go 25,000-30,000 miles on oil changes, we are talking about consumer vehicles that are stop and go driving, and most of the time its not easy driving. I'll stick with 3,000-6,000 miles, depending on how hard I've been driving my vehicle.

Reply to
Kiel Uyttenhove