engine stalls

89 chevy S-10 4.3L V6 engine stalls for no reason. warm or cold at idle or driving at speed. at the point of engine stall there is no spark. turn key off and on and engine will restart and run for a little while. cap, wires & plugs are ok. i replaced the ignition module, fuel filter, and oxygen sensor. no luck. what to do next?? TIA..

jim w. cols. ohio

Reply to
Motorpsycho Jim

Pick-up coil and magnet in distributor. Magnets have tendency to crack. pick up coils get shorts, when cool work, when hot connection pulls apart. Being its an 89 I would probably replace distributor, shaft bearings are probably pretty worn. Never had good luck with A-1 Cardone rebuilds, I used an AC Delco for my 91, which turned 200,000 miles on the original drive train today. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I'd start with cleaning all battery and ground connections (especially battery negative to block ground) and tightening them up before I started throwing $100 parts at it.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

i will replace the ignition coil today. hope this fixes it. btw, its not battery ground because lights stay on after stall. jim w. cols. ohio

---------------------------- "Motorpsycho Jim" message engine stalls for no reason. warm or cold at idle or driving at speed. at the point of engine stall there is no spark. =A0 turn key off and on and engine will restart and run for a little while. cap, wires & plugs are ok. i replaced the ignition module, fuel filter, and oxygen sensor. =A0 no luck. what to do next?? =A0 =A0 TIA.. jim w. cols. ohio

--------------------- Pick-up coil and magnet in distributor. Magnets have tendency to crack. pick up coils get shorts, when cool work, when hot connection pulls apart. Being its an 89 I would probably replace distributor, shaft bearings are probably pretty worn. Never had good luck with A-1 Cardone rebuilds, I used an AC Delco for my 91, which turned 200,000 miles on the original drive train today. Whitelightning I'd start with cleaning all battery and ground connections (especially battery negative to block ground) and tightening

Motorpsycho Jim

thanks all. new ign. coil fixed it.

Motorpsycho Jim