How to put a new door on an '84 Sierra?

Hello all...

I just picked up a door (cheap!) for my '84 Sierra to replace my driver's side door after discovering that the window winder assembly was really messed up and likely to break another expensive piece of window glass.

The door itself is complete minus any sort of hinges or a mirror. What's a good way to put it on the truck (tips, tricks, gotchas, etc...) and how can I reattach the mirror assembly when the door is finally in place?

Also, what's a good way to loosen up a badly stuck windshield wiper/washer control handle?

Any and all help appreciated...

William The Guesser (soon to tell the spiders and rain to STAY OUT of his beloved old truck!)

Reply to
William R. Walsh

I don't want to sound ungrateful as I've gotten lots of help here in the past with seeming "stupid" questions...

I'd have honestly thought that someone here would have had experience swapping a door. Guess not.

Anyway, I tried it myself and put a few small dings in the fender upon opening the door after closing it...I guess it isn't as easy as I thought it was. The door also wanted to bind quite badly, so I put the original back for the time being.

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh

I was thinking of pointing you too a post I had asked about basically the same thing with my blazer, but I thought that you would have seen it. Sorry. I have a 1991 service manual that I'd scan for you if you need it? But I find it very strange that you could get the old one back on, but couldn't get the new one on? It basically just tells you how to space it, what "tolerances" your supposed to hold around the door. I would think if you got the old one on, you can get the new one on and adjusted.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Hi!

No problem. I remember your posting, and I sure did think that all you ever got were mostly smartacre replies. I didn't look it up because that was in my mind.

I filed it under "I sure would have thought that..." after the experience. I've had the original door off several times now and each time I've gotten it back on without any episode whatsoever. It goes right into place *every* time while the other door will not work no matter how much piddling I do with it. The only thing I can think of is that the "new" door was minorly damaged at some point in its lifetime...but it's not damaged badly enough to cause such a major problem.

I've got a body man who will have a look at it. He thinks the hinges need to be adjusted and that all will be good. I hope it works out that way.

Meanwhile I did dare the drive the truck with the improperly installed door. (I really considered just taking it out to its "resting place" on the farm without a door, but I wasn't that bold or "stupid" if you prefer--because it would be the ONE time I'd get T-boned or something...) It was too late at night to switch the door back and while the new door wouldn't latch, it did stay shut for the short trip out of town--and it sure was NICE to have a window!

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

What's up with your window that it wont work? Like I said I'd email the install/remove instructions, it's about 3 pages w/ pictures.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Hi!

I don't know what's up with the window actuator in the original door. Something is up with it though. The second window rained out of the door in

2001 and I decided then that it was just too expensive to keep feeding it new windows.

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Do you mean that the regulator isn't working properly? I have a regulator from a D/S 83 blazer I'd send you for free (ship only, it's already pulled), and glass from an '85 I'd "give" to you. I'd want some kind of handling/removal fee for that. Willin to help ya out anyway I kin buddy.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin