Injector Cleaning

I had my 2007 Silverado in for oil change recently and service writer advised me that GM "recommends" that owners have the injectors cleaned at about 36K miles and mine was overdue (my truck has a bit over 40K).

Is this really "recommended"? If so, what is involved? If it just takes adding a can of injector cleaner to the tank I'll do it myself. I don't see anything in the owners manual about this, but if it really has value I don't mind having it done. This vehicle is a company truck and I like to keep it well-maintained.

Reply to
Bart

I think a fuel rail service incl fuel filter, throttle body, etc. is really only needed if you detect sluggishness. But it's cheap enough to do every

50K or so, if you are so disposed.
Reply to
Rockinghorse Winner

Generally, it's how the dealer makes his boat payments. If you want to keep them clean, just put a bottle of Chevron Techroline in the gas a couple weeks before every oil change. If you want to really scrub them put in two bottles. One bottle is supposed to go in for every 15 gallons.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

The owners manual is generally a good guideline. The dealership, and oil change places typically reccomend "severe service" maint for everyone, cause it's more money for them. I've heard that High-Test gasoline often has enough additives to keep the system clear. So, run a tank of high octane fuel every couple years, and be happy.

In NYS, I'm finding it impossible to find pure gasoline. Everyone has the 10% ethanol stuff. Which is like getting a bottle of alcohol drygas in every galon of gasoline. Tragically, I did buy some drygas last year on cheap close out. And it's now useless, cause I've got more alcohol than I know what to with in my fuel tank.

Used to get 18 MPG on gasoline, and now get 15.5 MPG on gasohol. I'd rather have real gasoline, thank you very much.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

While the Techron stuff may be good for routine use to help keep things cleaner, I can definitely tell you that it will not clean dirty injectors anywhere near as well as a proper injector cleaner rig.

I used a couple bottles of the Techron stuff on my '97 truck (7.4l

210K+mi), with the tank down to probably 15 gal and there was no noticeable difference after that had been run through.

I ran a single canister cleaning cycle with my 3M fuel injector cleaner rig that feeds the fuel rail directly with high strength cleaner and there was a very noticeable improvement after that cleaning.

Reply to
Pete C.

True but the dealers usually charge $100 to do the injector cleaning. If you spend $5 twice a year you can keep them clean in the first place and it will be 10 years before you've spent the $100. The engines have to be certified to meet emissions (which is to around

100K miles) by the manufacturer and they run those tests using Chevron Gas because they know that the techroline is the best additive to keep the system clean.
Reply to
Ashton Crusher