Problem with AC after alternator replacement

Hi all,

I had my alternator replaced on my 2000 GMC Safari Van at a chevy dealership. The other day I noticed that the AC control that directs the air through the vents does not work. The air only comes out the defrost and the floor. The redirection control has no effect. It was working fine before the repair. I am thinking the mechanic left a vacuum line disconnected under the hood. Only problem is I don't know where to look. Where should I check under the hood?

Thanks in advance.

Marty

Reply to
posttogoogle

Take it back to the dealer and ask them to recheck it.

Reply to
kevin weaver

I have the same problem with my 95 Suburban 1500. I have replaced the alternator but but problem did not start with it. I took the truck a mechanic for inspection and AC recharge, also asked them to look at the problem. The mechanic could not find any problems with the AC but indicated that problem was electrical.

If I turn off the AC then the I can hear the vent open and air comes out of the dash.

Do you get the same results ?

Scot

Reply to
Scot

This happened to me about 3 years ago also. It was a stuck AC relay in the box on the left fender under the hood. I just started tapping on the relays and when I hit the right one it picked up and everything has worked since then. Mike

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Reply to
Xclimation

Just saw your post. Mine was a dryed out vacuum line around the alternator that was damaged by the mechanic when he replaced the alternator. Took it back and they replaced it for free. However, they said all the vacuum lines are in similar condition and should be replaced. Bummer. I will replace one at a time as I can get to them.

Reply to
posttogoogle