Replacing rear brakes on 2003 Silverado 1500

Okay, I've heard wildly different opinions about replacing the rear disc brakes on these '99-up Silverados. Some people have told me horror stories about needing a special tool for the parking brake. Some people have told me that it's no big deal, that the rotor just slips right off with no trouble.

So, what is it? My rears are shot and I'm just going to go ahead and replace the rotors.

What am I in for?

Reply to
mkirsch1

I replaced the rear brakes on my '03 Silverado this past winter. Easy driveway job, nothing special needed.

V.B.

Reply to
V.B.

Thanks V.B. Helps to have someone with real-world experience instead of the "armchair quarterbacks" that know everything but haven't turned a wrench in 20 years.

Reply to
mkirsch1

It's pretty simple usually. The main thing is the Rear Brakes and the Read Parking Brakes are NOT the same. The Parking brake is not part of the Caliper, so it's pretty simple to work on. The main thing on the brakes are the Parking brake shoes that are inside the rotor. The parking brakes on these trucks seem weak and get left on all the time and it wares out the shoes and then the park brakes really don't work at all. Make sure they are in good Condition and adjusted correctly.

Reply to
JBDragon