tranny solenoid replacement

I have a 96 Suburban K1500 5.7L with 4L60E tranny. After changing the fluid and filter (a little dark and burnt, but not real bad), I'm getting code P0753 (shift A solenoid). I was getting code P1870, but the fluid was a little low and topping it off seems to have cured that one. The P0753 code is still there, and it won't go into 4th gear. I'm not sure about 1st, but I suspect it won't go there either, based on what I found from searching this group. So I need to check the wiring, solenoid resistance, and maybe replace it. I looked at the tranny from under the truck. There is a vent tube on top of the tranny that appears to be dripping fluid onto the 2 wire harness connectors that go into the plastic shift cable mount area, and onto the shift cable boot and driveshaft. Not a lot, but it's covered and wet in that area. I've workd on the engine, but all I've done with an automatic is change the fluid and filter. Can anyone tell me exactly what to do from here? Provide some tips on which pins in which connectors to check? Got a picture or location for shift A solenoid? Point me at some info? Any help before I start is much appreciated!

Roy

Reply to
reichwein

Since everyone said they are easy to replace I tried it. The P0753 code indicates Shift A Solenoid (electrical). This one shifts from 1 to 2, or 3 to 4, depending on the state of Shift B solenoid. The dealer has 3 shift solenoids indicated, all with the same part number, but there are only 2 solenoids for basic gear shifting. The dealer asked if I needed the 1-2, 2-3, or 3-4 solenoid. 1-2 and 3-4 are the same thing, and the one that I needed. In any case, I replaced both. They are inside the pan. I put a drain plug in the pan the last time I replace the fluid, so it was a very quick job. The shift solenoids are at the front of the transmission valve block, which is almost as big as the pan and is what you mainly see when you remove the pan. Remove the 2-wire connector to the solenoid. Then there is a wire clip holding each solenoid in. Pull the clip down toward the ground to remove it, and the solenoid spring pushes itself out. Be aware that more fluid will drain when the solenoid pops out. Replacement is just the reverse. Make sure the solenoid is pushed *all* the way in, flush with the valve block.

Roy

Reply to
Roy