Shift A solenoid location in 4L60E transmission

I need to replace the Shift A solenoid. It is supposed to be easy once the pan is dropped. My question is, where is it located and how do I tell it from the Shift B solenoid? I have a 96 Suburban K1500 5.7L with 4L60E tranny.

TIA! Roy

Reply to
Roy

Since everyone said they are easy to replace I tried it. The P0753 code I was getting indicates Shift A Solenoid (electrical). This one shifts from 1 to 2, or 3 to 4, depending on the state of Shift B solenoid. The dealer has 3 shift solenoids indicated, all with the same part number, but there are only 2 solenoids for basic gear shifting. The dealer asked if I needed the 1-2, 2-3, or 3-4 solenoid.

1-2 and 3-4 are the same thing, and the one that I needed. I still don't know how to tell which is which, so I replaced both. They are inside the pan. I put a drain plug in the pan the last time I replace the fluid, so it was a very quick job. The shift solenoids are at the front of the transmission valve block, which is almost as big as the pan and is what you mainly see when you remove the pan. Remove the 2- wire connector to the solenoid. Then there is a wire clip holding each solenoid in. Pull the clip down toward the ground to remove it, and the solenoid spring pushes itself out. Be aware that more fluid will drain when the solenoid pops out. Replacement is just the reverse. Make sure the solenoid is pushed *all* the way in, flush with the valve block.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Thanks really helpful

Reply to
riahs.daddy7902

Can the shift solenoids be replaced with the transmission still in place or does it have to be taken out. I'm familiar with the location of them,and having to drop the pan. Just wasn't sure if the transmission had to be removed as well.

Reply to
cledden83