UNBELIEVABLE!!! (Fuel/Brake line retaining bolt)

I have a 1985 Chevy Silverado and I am trying to replace a brake line. I get all of the obvious brake line retaining bolts and then I get to the last one. This thing is mounted UNDER the freaking passenger side engine mount with like an inch and a half to spare! I can't get a socket in there I can't even get a wrench in there. What the @!#$% was GM thinking are these guys retarded or something. I started with this project just replacing a couple of brake hoses and I end up replacing brake lines and pulling up all kinds of crap I never intended on pulling up just to get to the stuff I need to get to.

And in a vehicle that does not have a cramped engine compartment this just seems absolutely rediculous. Does anyone know how I might get to this bolt WITHOUT pulling up the engine mount???

Reply to
Aaron Ackerman

"Aaron Ackerman" wrote

I would simply re-route your new line so that you don't have to mess with that particular bolt.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

. . Re: UNBELIEVABLE!!! (Fuel/Brake line retaining bolt) "Aaron Ackerman" wrote And in a vehicle that does not have a cramped engine compartment this just seems absolutely rediculous. Does anyone know how I might get to this bolt WITHOUT pulling up the engine mount???

I would simply re-route your new line so that you don't have to mess with that particular bolt.

Ian .....................

what he said.....ditto

marsh ..........

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Yep. Just cut the old line off on each end of the mount, and pass the other one next to it. Just make sure it's not rubbing up against anything sharp, or even something with a small radius. You might want to put a couple of tie wraps to hold it to what's left of the line you cut off, and kink them just a little so the new line doesn't rub on the clamp still under the mount.

Reply to
John Alt

He hasn't worked on a Ford lately!

Reply to
jason

Yeah first I need to get the bolt OUT so I can remove the line!

Reply to
Aaron Ackerman

You don't understand I need to get the old line OUT because I am going to reuse it! I don't want ot have to bend a new line. the point is GM did a piss poor job of mounting this one.

Reply to
Aaron Ackerman

"Aaron Ackerman" wrote

Well, it's up to you. It's a lot simpler to bend a new line, then attempt to remove that old line. But, whatever turns your crank. If I was in your situation, I guess I'd support the engine, and remove that motor mount so that I could access the line. But you already knew that, you just want a simpler way to do it.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Why? Have you even PRICED A NEW LINE!?

When I first used the brakes on my K5 I blew a steel line. Repair costs; 30 minutes on my back $2.80 in parts

SAME LINE YOUR TALKING ABOUT

/me grubles

Reply to
KJ

I take it that the hose is rubber there? Progress, they call it.

Reply to
John Alt

. . Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Sat, Oct 25, 2003, 6:03pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Aaron=A0Ackerman)

You don't understand I need to get the old line OUT because I am going to reuse it!

I don't want ot have to bend a new line. the point is GM did a piss poor job of mounting this one. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

NO!!!!!!

Y O U .....don't understand that we can't read what you don't write.

Everyone told you to replace the line....

do what you want.

Scrib Abell ~:~

Reply to
Scrib Abell

Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Sat, Oct 25, 2003, 6:03pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Aaron=A0Ackerman)

the point is GM did a piss poor job of mounting this one.

////////////////////////////////

and one more thing.....

I think they did a darn fine job......it ain't fell out yet.....and it's idiot proof.

scrib =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Reply to
Scrib Abell

////////////////////////////////

and one more thing.....

I think they did a darn fine job......it ain't fell out yet.....and it's idiot proof.

scrib ======== if you make it idiot proof.... someone will come along and build a better idiot

Reply to
saggman54

Reply to
thomas34y

ummm...didn't someone (actually quite a few folks) already mention cut the line, forget the bolt, and reroute it?? Unless you got a show truck where everything has to be in it's place.......but I am guessing not.

Reply to
Eightupman

. . . . Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Tue, Oct 28, 2003, 2:49am (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@newemail.com (Eightupman)

ummm...didn't someone (actually quite a few folks) already mention cut the line, forget the bolt, and reroute it??

Unless you got a show truck where everything has to be in it's place.......but I am guessing not. ========= =========

8-Up, he's insisting on using the original line.

go figure...

maybe the price of brake line has gone up in the last couple of days????????

pop bunkle ~hands 8 a beer~

Reply to
Pop Bunkle

What is it now? $2.90 (over $2.80) for a 4 foot section, with nuts and pre-flared? pheeeeew.......

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Thanks for the beer...Pops, Nubs, Scrib, Marsh, or which ever alter ego you so choose today!

It is apparant that you can only teach the willing. The line must be a custom titanium/uritiium alloy ordered special, and he probably can't cut it with tools known to the common man.

Eightup---poking fun...stirring shit....again!!

Reply to
Eightupman

everyone knows that the factory lines are made of unobtainium, it very exspensive and available only at your authorized GM dealer....

Reply to
saggman54

My parts guy said to bring both ends of my line to him... So I did.... I grabbed each end with my hands, bent, and they came right off.....

The old line is right were it was, and it will rust to the frame before I care enough to take it out.

But we all know that he needs to get that 1/2 of pipe out, it adds more weight to his dragster truck...

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ