Civic Brake/Fuel Line Replacement Cost

My wife's 99 Civic sedan blew a brake line and was spewing brake fluid all over the drive way. Towed to the dealer, they got back to us and said the brake line needed replacement (doh!), the fuel line was corroded to the point of near failure and all the brakes needed servicing as well (car has ~100K km - 60K miles). Repair cost estimate CDN$1700 - car will not be ready until next Wednesday.

The price has my rip-off antennae twitching and the week to fix it makes me think they don't really want my business but if I really need them I am going to pay in time and money. Am I wrong here?

Thanks for any advice.

Robbie

Reply to
Robbie

I'm no expert on the Civic, but although I don't doubt the work they call for is necessary (Canada, right?) the price seems mighty high and the time line seems long to me, too. Time to phone some other shops!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Robbie wrote in news:hKOdnT06Ub_l snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com:

You brought it to the dealer? Bad, bad place to bring a repair like that.

Most brake line corrosion is very localized (usually at the mount brackets) and is easily repaired with patches. The dealer will not usually be willing to patch, but will want to install complete replacements. It is not easy to remove and install some of these lines on account of the way they snake in and out of the body, which is how they got their cost estimate.

Part of the cost estimate may also be a "scare-you-off" factor, designed to make you take an unpleasant repair job somewhere else.

Most independents will have a brake flaring tool, and stock brake line is cheap in the extreme. Take it to an independent garage. I'll bet your corrosion can be fixed for less than $100.

As for the brake servicing, since you live in Canada, I can just imagine the damage rust and neglect have wrought. An independent will be about 30%-

50% cheaper in that area as well, even using OEM parts.
Reply to
TeGGeR®