08 Minivan gas mileage question?

I was wondering if anyone else out there is keeping track of their gas mileage? I have the 4.0 engine and the 6 speed trans. I am getting about 15 around town. I'm not complaining, as I needed the van to accommodate a wheelchair lift. Just wanted to compare and see if this is about normal for the configuration. (similarly posted in alt.autos.dodge to increase the sample)

Reply to
QX

What is the EPA and consumer reports rating? Right off the top that seems in line for that vehicle and engine.

Just be happy it doesn't have the 5.7+ L hemi engine.

Reply to
Just Facts

Is the lift installed? That is probably a couple of hundred extra pounds you are carrying right there.

A power chair weighs 250 pounds too.

By the way if you haven't bought a lift yet, check out Harmar AL600 and 650. Often installed with no modifications. They are for a lifting an empty power chair.

By the way, I used ramps for my father's power chair. Cost about $200 on ebay. Also sometimes the Harmar lifts sell cheap on ebay.

Reply to
Art

Yes, the lift is installed so it's like I have the equivalent of 5 adults in the van at all times. It's a Pride Mobility Backpacker, with a Jazzy. The VA took care of the expenses. The lift uses the rearmost shoulder belt lower attachments for the forward attachment, and a bracket wraps around the stowed third row seat for the rearward attachment. The "new" EPA estimate is for 16 city/23 hwy/18 combined so I guess I am right in the ball park considering the load.

Reply to
QX

At least in 2006 when I bought my Odyssey, there were 2 versions of the engines. One could turn off some cylinders when coasting, the other could not. Only the upper grades got the better gas mileage version back then. Even so my city mileage is pretty bad. About 16 with just a fat driver.

Reply to
Art