1984 Plymouth Reliant idles way too fast...

Hello all...

The vehicle in question is a 1984 Plymouth Reliant with the 2.6L Mitsubishi engine. It runs and drives, but the problem is that the engine is idling way, way too fast. It also diesels a LOT at shutdown, although that may be due to some very stale gasoline that I'm trying to get rid of as time allows.

There has been a lot of headway made on this problem...but I'm not there yet. The choke is fixed and I invested in a Chilton's service manual for

1981-95 FWD Chrysler automobiles. Said manual talks of an idle speed adjustment screw, and even has an illustration. Trouble is, I can find no such screw, or even really tell what the illustration is pointing out. It isn't a very good illustration.

So how can I go about getting the idle speed down to something more reasonable? Is there a *good* guide that explains what all the various bits of stuff on the carburetor are for?

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

That's why you need an FSM. Sorry you wasted your money on a Chilton's...

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Hi!

Could have been worse, I guess. I could still take it back, and may just do so. I'm just surprised at how poor this manual has been. I have two other Chilton manuals for other cars and they are much better.

I know that GM factory service manuals come from Helm, Inc. Is the same true for Chrysler products? If not, where would I go to get the factory service manual?

Or would anyone mind giving me a few quick hints to find my way around the carburetor? I'll provide more information if need be.

William

Reply to
wm_walsh

They're available at swap meets and such for pretty low prices. No need to buy new, unless you positively need it right away (and I don't know who would have it in stock).

Reply to
Ed.Toronto