1990 Chrysler Transmission Problem

I have a 1990 Chrysler New Yorker, 3.3litre, 3 spd. automatic transmission with 63,000 miles. Recently the transmission started acting up. Sometimes when I went over a bump it would shift itself from drive into a lower gear and would not go back into drive until I stopped, shut off the ignition and then started the car again. A couple of times I didn't notice it had shifted itself to low gear until I got home and could smell a hot transmission? I had a new tranny kit installed a month ago and my fluid levels are all good. Is there some electrical device that regulates the tranny that could be shorting out. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, M. Dodd

Reply to
Mike Dodd

jdoe

Thanks Larry: I don't any mechanical background and appreciate your advice. My Shifter is on the steering column and shows "R", "L", "D" and then another "D" with an O around the "D" which I assume means Overdrive. I just assumed that meant it was a '3' speed. I take it that "pull codes" means to locate numbers similar to a UPC code on the tranny that tells me exactly which one is installed in my Chrysler. I re-checked the engine and it is 3.3L.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

No, "pull codes" means to hook a diagnostic computer to the matching connector under the hood of the car and examine the data supplied by the engine and transmission control computers to get an initial indication of what's wrong. It's called "pulling codes" because the information is transmitted as a series of numerical codes that refer to specific operational faults.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Wonderful, thanks for the info on "pull codes" Dan, I will get it checked. Best regards, M. Dodd

Reply to
Mike Dodd