1999 Chrysler T&C tranny question

Hi, I recently brought my 1999 Chrysler T&C AWD minivan (120K miles) in to the dealer for routine servicing. When the mechanic dropped the tranny pan, he found a lot of metal at the pan magnet, which appears to be the remains of a failed (possibly skinny radial) bearing. No burned fluid tho. He is recommending a ($2000) rebuild, depite the fact that the transmission drives and works flawlessly. For now, I just had him do the other work, replace the fluid, and drove the van home. 200 miles later, it still runs and drives perfectly, no odd noises, no shifting problems. Is this something I can just let go for a while? Any idea which bearing it might be? What would be the symptoms of pending doom? Thanks!

Reply to
Tom Sharples

All tranneys and engines eventually will wear out and need to be rebuilt.

When yours does it's going to cost $2000 whether the tranny just failed due to normal wear, or if the tranny blew up because a bearing in it died, or because the tranny was still running and you just got it rebuilt as a preventative maintainence measure.

If this is 120K original miles on that tranny and it's never been rebuilt, then while I wouldn't recommend you drive it across country on a1 month scenic vacation, I wouldn't recommend anyone with any tranny with 120K original miles to do this. If your plans for the future don't include doing this, then I don't see why you can't just keep driving it until it eventually does fail.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Just so you know, there is a VERY reputable shop in my local area that rebuilds these for $1495 CDN$ plus tax. That includes the re & re, AND a fill with ATF+4, and a 1 year warranty which precious few have EVER needed! :)

IMHO, $2000 is toooo much (although probably not bad for a dealer is they do the rebuild).

Reply to
NewMan

The rebuild will cost the same, possibly adjusted for inflation, now or later. Why not later.

Mine (same vehicle, no AWD) has 136K and is starting to clunk a bit going to second range on a power dowshift, that is a downshift under accelerating load. Does it occaisonally. Smooth as glass upshifting from a stop. I'll take it in to see if it is something simple, but if not I will continue to drive it until it goes and consider myself lucky this is the first transmission related event on this vehicle.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Transmission mount.